Shimano Question

Hey, I got a question for you Shimano guys. I bought a Izumi signature series rod(6'6) with a 4000Sedona spinning reel 3-4years ago and at the base of the rod just past the cork the graphite(i think) has been chipping off and leaving the blank exposed. That and the reel seems to reel in with a bit of resistance/non smoothness.

Any chance of me getting a replacement rod from them? I bought it at Gagnon Sports in Oshawa for $129.99.

i cant see a private retailer helping you after 4 years, i beleive shimanos warranty is 1 yr on rods, and the retailer wont hold the bag for something they will probably say you damaged yourself. ive had great luck with my sedonas, great reel for the money. i suppose you have tried removing the spool and cleaning and lubricating the interior? this may assist the smooth action of the reel.

sedonas are on a clearance at lebaron as well as stimula rods if youre looking for a replacement.

good luck

On, thanks for the info guys. Just wondering if I would be able to get another rod, but if not no worries. As of now this is my favorite rod and reel combo, the rod is only a IM-6 and it has very good sensitivity and action battling many fish from bass to pike to carp.

Still early in the thread but thanks for the quick responses,

MTBF

ummmm. #1 why put a 4000 size reel on a 6'6? mabea a 2500 or 3000 max. And shimano has been lacking quality lately. broke 3 cumaras on 3 trips. Traded for some st croixs. My stradic was acting up. I sent it to bud benwell in peterborough, first he lost my reel in his inventory,then he sent me back a reel all scratched up. Im sorry that is not acceptable when you pay 200 bucks for a reel. I used to be a curado fan. I recently bought a revo premier from abu. INSANE reel. Only 100 bucks more. You get 200 bucks more value. When you buy shimano, you pay 100 bucks for the name. With brands like abu or pflueger you pay for the item.

ummmm. #1 why put a 4000 size reel on a 6'6? mabea a 2500 or 3000 max.

Came with the rod...like I said, $129.99...looked like a good deal when I was 13 years old lol....not really that big of a reel, friends have mistaken it for a 2500 sized.

Either way, I'm use to it's size and line capacity.

*4000 FB it says

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

ummmm. #1 why put a 4000 size reel on a 6'6? mabea a 2500 or 3000 max. And shimano has been lacking quality lately. broke 3 cumaras on 3 trips. Traded for some st croixs. My stradic was acting up. I sent it to bud benwell in peterborough, first he lost my reel in his inventory,then he sent me back a reel all scratched up. Im sorry that is not acceptable when you pay 200 bucks for a reel. I used to be a curado fan. I recently bought a revo premier from abu. INSANE reel. Only 100 bucks more. You get 200 bucks more value. When you buy shimano, you pay 100 bucks for the name. With brands like abu or pflueger you pay for the item.

You seriously just compared Pflueger to Shimano with Pflueger being the higher quality in your opinion?

Pflueger President about $220 (a few yrs ago).. lasted me 3 months. Plastic gears wore out.

Was lacking money, so replaced it with a Shimano Callisto. 4 years later the Callisto's still casting. I'll admit it took some maintenance - I oiled it once. lol

:angry: You just don't learn do you? I've personally dealt with Bud on more than one occasion . . . matter of fact, I dropped 9 Shimano reels (Stradics, Sustains, Symetres & Saharas) in last summer for servicing . . . never asked for a receipt, just when I could pick 'em up? I went back on the appointed day, my reels looked just like new, and I could feel the difference. Brag all ya want about all the wonderful stuff you have & things you've done in your 16 years, but please DO NOT malign people who are exceptionally customer oriented, and among the best in the business!! :asshat:

if you're 16 years old, i have 2 cheap shimano quickfires that are older than you and i have never serviced or oiled them even once,and they have been tossed around in dirt,water and concrete,and still work like the day i bought them.

My main reel is a 09' shimano sahara,and i love it.

so about 17 years ago i bought a 50.00 shimano rod and reel combo that still works great to this day. which means i paid for the name and it was worth the 50.00.

Wow for once I agree with PHOTOZ :whistling: I have many shimano reels and havn't really had any problems with them, even my lowley sahara gets the snot worked out of it and never gives up. once or twice a year I clean them with reel magic and i feel confident in there performance, same with rods never had an issue, broke a compre once and had it back in two weeks. shimano excells in customer service, i have 7 shimano spinning right now- sedona, sahara, symmetry, stradic and stella and have no issues with any of them just clean and fish, baitcasters the same chronarchs and curado no issues

i have 7 shimano spinning right now- sedona, sahara, symmetry, stradic and stella and have no issues with any of them just clean and fish, baitcasters the same chronarchs and curado no issues

With gear like that I'm glad your apart of Team 4!

Hope you can put it to good use and nail us some biggins!!

MTBF

Mike based on the description of the wear on your rod it's most likely the gloss coat on the blank that's chipped off.

It won't hurt the rod at all. Many (if not all) of the higher end rods today are matte finish and have no gloss coat at all.

If you're worried about it you can carefully brush some clear epoxy over the spot.

Your reel could likely use a good cleaning and lubing.

i have a sedona 2500 on a 7' medium weight bps rod as my only spinning setup. it gets mishandled quite a bit and never gets maintained (i should work on changing that) and has gotten that treatment for 3 or so yrs now. the reel has some scratches but it still performs with no problems and does whatever i've needed it to do, although i dont fish a whole ton

ryan

Mike based on the description of the wear on your rod it's most likely the gloss coat on the blank that's chipped off.

It won't hurt the rod at all. Many (if not all) of the higher end rods today are matte finish and have no gloss coat at all.

If you're worried about it you can carefully brush some clear epoxy over the spot.

Your reel could likely use a good cleaning and lubing.

And how do I go about cleaning it...I put some reel lube on the parts in the winter...made a little big of a difference....or was I suspost to wipe off the old stuff first.

:huh: