A fishing report with no fish!

Jonny

It's a good thing my "motto" (below) is something I believe in. :)

Today was the first really beautiful day we've had in quite a while - 26 C, light breeze, sunny. My wife and I spent the late afternoon and evening on the lake. We did fish for a couple of hours but we caught nothing (perch don't count). However we spent a lot of the time at our favourite beach on the Goose Islands just swimming and soaking up some sun (that big bright thing in the sky that we haven't seen much this summer).

jul21-1.jpg

We passed by what locals call "the rockpile" - for obvious reasons. This shot gives you a pretty accurate idea of the closest distance we came...

jul21-2.jpg

Both seagulls and cormorants were roosting on the rockpile, and we saw a few tussles between the species. We thought they were fighting for preferred roosting spots and I didn't realize until I downloaded my telephoto pictures to the computer that there were nests involved - you tell me if you agree... it looks like the cormorants were nesting. The tussles, I'm assuming now, were caused by seagulls raiding the eggs. GO GULLS!

jul21-3.jpg

jul21-4.jpg

An evening shot... looked like the perfect conditions for surface poppers, which we tried, along with spinners, Little Cleos, and a couple of other things. The bass weren't interested.

jul21-5.jpg

So anyway, a fishing report with no fish, but a beautiful day just the same!

Ahhh my old stomping grounds, spent many a day around those islands....thanks for the memories.

Me too, Indy - starting in the 50's when I was a kid camping on those islands (Jocko Point and Goose) with my parents.

This used to be our favourite camping spot - beach, high spot under the pines for the tent, sheltered from most winds...

goosecamp.jpg

---

I've never heard it called "Sam's Rockpile", JohnnyB, but lots of people have their own names for features.

White dot for sure... most days we can see the white dot from our front deck, 6 miles away.

---

I don't know much about the nesting habits of cormorants. I thought they always nested in trees.

We've been at the rockpile before, and seen a mix of cormorants and gulls roosting on it. But the cormorants were completely silent. This time we heard them constantly croaking - a deep guttural rasp... protesting the presence of the gulls near their nests? The gulls were vocal, as usual.

I checked some pictures I took on July 29, 2008 - there was no evidence of nests. I don't think seagulls nest there. Everything I've been able to piece together seems to point to new cormorant nests. They appear to have "colonized" the island. :angry:

I have no use for cormorants.

Edited by Jocko

Me too, Indy - starting in the 50's when I was a kid camping on those islands (Jocko Point and Goose) with my parents.

Well i don't go back that far.... :worthy: lol

We had friends that lived on the point and spent about 12- 14 years spending our summer holidays there, they moved off the point and now have split up and we have been going to Martin River for the last 9 years to a cottage there but I miss Jocko Point.

Love the pic's

Edited by IndySKS

We had friends that lived on the point and spent about 12- 14 years spending our summer holidays there, they moved off the point and now have split up and we have been going to Martin River for the last 9 years to a cottage there but I miss Jocko Point. Love the pic's

Glad you like the pics. The big lake kind of grows on you. But the Marten River area has its plusses too. For one thing there aren't too many days like this, when you can't even get out there...

stormy.jpg

Something positve,has to be done with those cormorants.They are ruining everthing.

I wish. I should get in touch with the MNR but I don't know if they'd care. Still, I might do it anyway, and send them the pics, or give them a link to this topic.

Are those pics of the south shore of nip? Looks very familiar. Are "the flatts" right near there?

No, the south shore is about 4 miles away from the closest location where the photos were taken, by my guess.

satellite_2.jpg