back road camping

l2p

so ive been looking into this crown land camping thing for a while now and still havent found enough info on it.

basicaly me and some friends are planning to go for a weekend - week camping trip anywhere with in a 3 - 4 hour drive of toronto.

the only thing is we all wanted to do it back road style and not in a provincial or private camp ground. so if anyone knows an good area

or spot we can go to on crown land feel free to pm me, it has to be on a body of water for fishing reasons.

thank you

The map is fun. Turns out the camping/fishing spot we thought was crown land is actually private and we've been squatting. Oh well. No one seems to mind. Guess we should track down the owner and get permission before we go again, huh?

JF

Just got back from Temagami yesterday and was stranded at a remote lake for hours in the pouring rain after the truck wouldn't start. I'm not going to lie, it's pretty scary stuff.

Luckily we got 1 bar on the cell phone and got the local mechanic to find us through the access roads and managed to pull us out. Had to stay a night in a motel but luckily it started up the next morning.

So word of warning, it's not very fun if you get stuck in the middle of no where!!!!! Whereever you end up going, make sure u got a back up plan and let others know. We certainly didn't plan on staying an extra 21hrs in Temagami and not something I want to have happen again.

Edited by Governator

Believe me, it's not that easy to find an acceptable site for camping on crown land. You did the right thing in asking for some tips. Use the map link (and topo maps if you have them) and keep looking for tips before you go.

Sorry, I can't help you with tips that far south.

But I've found, even quite a bit further north than you want to go, that decent places you can camp on crown land, and can drive to, are few and far between. Now if you want to take your gear across water to an island or further along a shore, that's a totally different story. The possibilities open up tremendously. We always found that the extra effort to find campsites by boating was well worth the effort. There are some areas, like the West Arm of Nipissing, where you can leave your vehicle and trailer at a launch and then go out and have numerous good spots to choose from.

But I've found, even quite a bit further north than you want to go, that decent places you can camp on crown land, and can drive to, are few and far between. Now if you want to take your gear across water to an island or further along a shore, that's a totally different story. The possibilities open up tremendously. We always found that the extra effort to find campsites by boating was well worth the effort. There are some areas, like the West Arm of Nipissing, where you can leave your vehicle and trailer at a launch and then go out and have numerous good spots to choose from.

What Jocko said, places that you can just drive up to are few & far between. But if you want to boat camp, or loose a few luxuries and portage a canoe that opens up an exponential amount of areas.

Only suggestion I can give you is find an area you like and start prospecting.

• 3 weeks later...
There's Grundy Lake up north.....

The only thing Grundy Lake is good for is to suck up all the people who need a numbered slot to go camping. Drive a few miles down the road and you have the Pickeral River, lightyears better pickeral & pike fishing for people willing to explore out on their own. South of 522 is enough Crown Land with some of the provinces best bass fishing to keep you busy for a lifetime and still not fish it all, but you need a map & canoe.

It still amazes me all the people that go to Grundy, when literally ten minutes down the road is better fishing for free!