Cameron Lake holiday

Radnine

Hi All!

I have just returned from a wonderful week at Cameron Lake in the Kawarthas (near Fenelon Falls). We rented the same lovely private cottage there for our second trip in as many years.

I am glad to report that the small walleye I found last year were a little bigger this year. We found enough keepers for one meal and a bit brought home (supplemented with a few perch).

I had a fishing first this week, my first muskie hit and it happened twice!! I started to pull in what felt like a small bass (the lake is lousy with ½ to ¾ lb bass) when WHAM! It goes from the familiar small fish fight to feeling like a snag, then the snag starts to swim away while shaking his head and not stopping for love or money. It was very cool. I told my son that we would either see a muskie or half a bass. I was using my walleye rig (6’6 med. Light and 1500 size reel) so he was just peeling line like crazy. I offered the rod to Will (aged 7) but he would have none of it. After about 5 minutes it starts to feel like I might be making ground so I start to take some line back, then he must have saw the boat and spit it out. I am not sure if you can see the teeth marks and general destruction in this photo (the fish, not me) but he was a mess. What ever kind of fish this was (I say this because I suppose it could have been a pike) it felt very heavy.

Then the same thing happens the next day, just not to the same extent. This time he grabbed it ran for a bit then spit it. It was not as heavy of a fish but the teeth marks were there again, however, not nearly as bad as the first time.

Sorry, not a lot of photos to show for it. I am starting to think as I catch more fish I am feeling less and less like taking pictures of them (much to the chagrin of my fellow team 8 members). Also, none of them were really outstanding, you know, just regular small walleye and bass.

Here is a picture of the mangled bass (the photo doesn’t do either of us justice).

P1010192.jpg

This is my son with one of the walleye he caught. This is also the first time that Will had held a fish in his hands (thus the look). He did not want to keep it, but wants a replica made of it (too much TV and sportsman show). I told him I’d think about it.

P1010200.jpg

Regards,

Jim

Good stuff! I've had them grab my walleye there.. just about every trip actually. lol usually when I put down the grub and start tossing the big baits. Never had one hit a smallie though. Quite a thrill eh?

Looks like you were fishing the south bay. Great walleye area.