Another little Canadian Tire rant for those in the trades

Kerry

Well I ran up to Canadian Tire today to get the 20' and 24' FEATHERLIGHT extension ladders that are on and pictured in the flyer.The 20' shown is on for 99.99 and the 24' not shown is on for 119.99.Better than a great deal for featherlight ladders except when I got there I find the product code is for the LITE or PROLITE ladders.Not even a close comparison and two totally different companies.I brought this 'discrepancy' to a managers attention and basically got the "I can't do anything for you ' shrug.So I go to the online flyer and the details link it to the Tradesman series of LITE products.Regardless of the grading the featherlight is a far superior ladder over lite ladders.It's a good deal for the lite ladders and they are alright but the ad AND picture show featherlight,and that's what I expected to be picking up.Needless to say I'm very disappointed....but I'll still shop there.Does that make me a bit of a hippocrit?

On another note I picked up the Vulcan !3' articulating ladder a couple of weeks ago from CTC on for 99.99.A hundred bucks off and am extremely happy.At least I got what was advertised and am satisfied.

Kerry

I had my winter tires removed and replaced with my summer ones a couple years back at the local CTC. The minute I got home I realized one of my caps was missing from one of my rims. It's held on with a single bolt, and obviously, the kid didn't put it in right. I went back to the store and asked to speak with the service manager. I explained what happened and he took responsibility for the missing cap. He knew the only explanation was that the kid had screwed up. He took down the model number of my rims and said he'd get back to me once he'd tracked down the part.

Three weeks later, I've heard nothing, so I go in to talk to the guy. He says, "Yeah, I can't find that rim for sale anywhere so I can't replace the cap." I tell him I'm not satisfied with that and he just shrugs and says, "There's nothing I can do, and there's nothing I'm going to do. You can't prove it was my guy who caused the cap to be lost anyway." And then basically tells me to go away. He was a real jerk about it too, stopping just short of accussing me of trying to pull a fast one on him. How the heck else does he think the cap went missing?

Thanks for the customer service Canadian Tire. I still p's me off to think about how little they tried to fix their screw-up. But hey, guess what? I've spent hundreds of dollars there since, so who's the bonehead? I know I'll always shop there, and always have something to complain about too.

I know people make mistakes...I make them myself every now and then. I try to take reponsibility for the mistakes that are my fault, and attempt to make ammends to those that, through no fault of their own, have been affected by my mistakes. I just wish Canadian Tire would have done the same. Considering they're in the customer service industry and they take my money, I don't think that's expecting a lot. When you pay for a product or service that is sub-standard as a result of a mistake the provider made, don't you expect that provider to fix the problem at their expense? I know I do.

What's with the negative tone to your reply? Kind of snippy and uncalled for, no? I don't know what I did to deserve that. Do you work for Canadian Tire or something?

Edited by Fishnwire

Their is no mistakes in the technical trades.

Peoples life's and livelihoods depend on you too do your

job right the first time.

In my trade a apprentice will keep doing the job, till he gets it right, or the

machine does not go out.

As the lead-hand. I'm the one that the company is going to come down on for a foul up.

So you better get it right. The company is easer to deal with then I.

I would make them sell me a feather lite for 99 just how it was advertise.

You only become a man. when you take responsibility for your own mistakes.

I know people make mistakes...I make them myself every now and then. I try to take reponsibility for the mistakes that are my fault, and attempt to make ammends to those that, through no fault of their own, have been affected by my mistakes. I just wish Canadian Tire would have done the same. Considering they're in the customer service industry and they take my money, I don't think that's expecting a lot. When you pay for a product or service that is sub-standard as a result of a mistake the provider made, don't you expect that provider to fix the problem at their expense? I know I do.

What's with the negative tone to your reply? Kind of snippy and uncalled for, no? I don't know what I did to deserve that. Do you work for Canadian Tire or something?

With a big company like Canadian Tire the local store can't do anything about what the head office puts in the flyer. Every other week a rant comes on here about CT and I get tired of it.

In no way was my post directed at anyone in particular.

Oh and I don't work at CT (except for the 17 freight elevators I did for them ;) )

Dan, you seem like a pretty decent guy, I've seen you around the boards and I don't have anything against you. I just have to wonder what the point of your "get over it" reply was. If you think about, you can see it adds nothing to the conversation and can only serve to breed hostility. The title of the thread was self evident...I know that if I'm not interested in a thread's content, I won't open it, and I certainly won't reply to it.

Maybe I'm being a little over-sensitive. I've just been seeing more and more of that on this board (not by you specifically, Dan) and I kind of wonder what people's motivation is...and I wish the weather was better so I could go fishing. ;)

This is not a personal hit against anyone.. But the way I see it.. Nobody seems to have the nutz to talk to someone higher up in the chain.. If you don't get satisfaction from the person your dealing with.. go to their manager.. if no luck.. go to the store manager.. and up from there is the store owner.. and if not.. Then call the Head office..

I know people that have done that in the past, and if they are not able to sell the product advertised due to a miss-print in the flyer, and you carp at them enough... But still be polite about it.. You will get some sort of satisfation.. I ended up going directly to head office, gave them the details, peoples names.. etc..

Personally I know this cause not only did I work there.. But also been in those situations and in the end Head Office ended up sending me a $100 gift card, and another situation they sent me a $50 gift card.. Yes I might not have been able to get what I wanted.. but some sort of remuneration is better then nothing...

With a big company like Canadian Tire the local store can't do anything about what the head office puts in the flyer.

Aucautlly the store can do something about it, but its in their own discretion.. Problem is that if they do it for one person, they will have to do it for everyone..

But if you are polite and talk directly to the store manager and explain the situationa and even make it up a little that you just drove like 2 hours to get there just for that product,

sometimes they will help you out and give you that product pictured for that price..

The only time they won't do anything is if there is a notice posted at the door, or at customer service or in the location the product is, stating that there was a miss-print in the flyer. Then your just outta luck..

I did talk to a person on the floor who was on the phone with his manager-which one I don't know.He or she didn't come down and I wasn't there to do a hissy fit or anything but I wanted it made aware to the store the ad is wrong.There is no contact email on line that I saw or I would have sent a message in regards to the ad.However saying all that there could be two stores out there that have the featherlight ladders on hand and priced on sale.Mainly I posted for other trades to not be disappointed if they don't have what's shown and as I finished up on the original post I am satisfied with the deal on the Vulcan ladder.The LITE ladders are a good deal for that price but that simply is not what is advertised.Anyway that's why I said a little rant.

Kerry