Musky report... first two of 2009

Fisherpete

Been learning a new musky lake... thanks to those who PM'd me some locations to try out!

First trip there was July 7th, fished all day with nothing to show except two small bass... but decided to try one last spot before heading home. Second cast, a muskie followed to boatside... did a figure 8 and WHAM! Fish on... I have never seen a muskie take to the air like this one did, it jumped 7 or 8 times, tailwalking across the surface like a sailfish each time! The first jump, right beside the boat after hooking it, was so violent and splashy that it scared the crap out of my 10 year old! After a nice fight, I guided him into the cradle, which my son used perfectly. Turned out to be a 33".

DSCN1305.jpg

After an easy release, I moved the boat back out for another drift, and two casts later my lure stopped dead... then I felt the big headshakes... this was no small fish! This one was staying deep, and pulling drag. After a moment, I raised her up to the surface and my heart started pounding! This fish may be my new personal best (for length anyway), and looked to be in the high 40's! Not well hooked either, one treble in the outside of the mouth... another deep run, then she came up again... and jumped... and out came the hook. Heartbreak. At least my son was there and saw the biggest ski I have ever had on my line, even if only for a moment. I fished half-heartedly for another hour with no more takers.

Next trip was yesterday, July 15th. Didn't get on the water until 3pm, and had a few new locations to try thanks to some generous OFC members! I started out at the same spot that I finished up last time, and soon had an overly ambitious 2 lb LM bass on the line - it nailed a super shad rap!!! There was quite a bit of boat traffic there, so I decided to head to one of the new locations to try. Soon after, as I was reeling in a big spinnerbait thru some heavy cover... WHAM! Fish on! What a hit, and just like the fish from last week, straight to the air! After a nice fight, my son once again guided her into the cradle like a pro. This one came in at 34", with great markings. Soon after, the rain started, and we continued to fish, but no more takers for the day.

DSCN1312.jpg

I still have three more new spots to try next time... hopefully one will yield a monster!

Great looking ski's Pete :thumbsup_anim:

Got to love it when you can get some good insights from members of this community!!!

Too bad about the one that got away..... sounds like it was a biggun :angry:

You know where it lives.... you'll get her next time :Gonefishing:

Thanks for sharing

Leechman