Remember the Topic - Single Barbless a while back

Fisherman

Quite a while back there was a discussion regarding the meaning of Single Barbless for certain areas, and some said that it meant just that, others said a Treble Barbless is considered a single hook when on an Artificial lure. Heres the link to the old post: http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...amp;hl=barbless

This is what I finally got back from the MNR after sending them the question and zone where it applied.

Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry and we apologize for the delay in responding

to your e-mail.

It means only one single, barbless hook may be attached to your

artificial lure. A single, barbless treble or double hook would be

illegal.

Regards,

nric web reader - cg

All said and done, there's the official version, now nobody has an excuse about that particular situation.. ;)

And if you send in the question again another "authority" might give you a different answer. The trouble with this stuff is that you're at the temporary mercy of whoever is in yer face at the moment.

JF

LOL probably answered by a secretary beleive me that happens all the time. Speak in person to enforcement(Conservation Officer) then tell us what the answer is. CO dont have time to answer emails neither does anyone who would know what they are talking about. You do realize that 90% of the staff in our MNR offices dont even fish/hunt right?

It looks pretty simple and it's in the regs.

If a special regulation is made it would have to say something like "a single hook with a single point".

Otherwise a treble is considered a single hook.

Note that a fishing line must not have more than four hooks attached. That's four trebles. If it wasn't, an ordinary Rapala with three or even only two trebles would be illegal.

hook.JPG

All said and done, there's the official version, now nobody has an excuse about that particular situation.. ;)

I'll take my chances and continue using a pinched down treble. The waters that I fish on have the single, barbless rule and I've been approached by conservation officers in the past and have been deemed legal with a one barbless treble. A treble is considered a single hook. Most laws involve common sense. This one falls into that category.

It looks pretty simple and it's in the regs.

If a special regulation is made it would have to say something like "a single hook with a single point".

Otherwise a treble is considered a single hook.

Note that a fishing line must not have more than four hooks attached. That's four trebles. If it wasn't, an ordinary Rapala with three or even only two trebles would be illegal.

Special exception, but agreed that it's not well written..

"Only artificial lures may be used.

Only one barbless hook may be used.

Brown trout or rainbow trout S - 1 and

C - 1, must be greater than 50 cm"

I would have written "One single barbless hook, treble barbless not allowed".. anyway..back to fishin

He asked the MNR the wrong question.

Quite a while back there was a discussion regarding the meaning of Single Barbless for certain areas.....

There's a differance between "one barbless hook" and "single barbless hook". Single barbless is indeed one single hook with no barb, not a treble. Ofcourse that's not the regulation in the area you were talking about, where "one barbless hook" is required. One barbless hook can be a barbless treble.

Yay for common sense laws!

Special exception, but agreed that it's not well written..

"Only artificial lures may be used.

Only one barbless hook may be used.

Brown trout or rainbow trout S - 1 and

C - 1, must be greater than 50 cm"

I would have written "One single barbless hook, treble barbless not allowed".. anyway..back to fishin

But it is well-written, isn't it?

"Only one barbless hook may be used"

And what's a hook?...

"A hook includes a single-pointed or multiple-pointed hook on

a common shaft... Thenumber of hooks includes any single-pointed or multiple-pointed

hooks that are part of a lure."

Now some peole may (erroneously) assume that "one barbless hook" means a single hook with a single point, but clearly that's not what is said and therefore it's kind of weird to assume that.