ANYBODY FROM SUDBURY OR AROUND SUDBURY?

You certainly have established a wide range of fishing for only 16 y.o. Patrick. But by the time I was 16 I had done a lot of fishing too, only not quite so widespread. My folks were crazy about fishing and camping, and took me everywhere they went.

I liked the honesty in your lead-off post (the very first post you made on this board). I can see why it got locked but it certainly raised a concern that doesn't get talked about much.

One place that intrigues me, because I drive by it often enough between North Bay and Sudbury is the Veuve River. It's a smallish river but looks like it should hold some decent pike and bass, maybe other things too. It looks to be accessible by canoe in many spots, but I never see any boats or canoes on it. Ever fished it or heard anything about it?

You certainly have established a wide range of fishing for only 16 y.o. Patrick. But by the time I was 16 I had done a lot of fishing too, only not quite so widespread. My folks were crazy about fishing and camping, and took me everywhere they went.

I liked the honesty in your lead-off post (the very first post you made on this board). I can see why it got locked but it certainly raised a concern that doesn't get talked about much.

One place that intrigues me, because I drive by it often enough between North Bay and Sudbury is the Veuve River. It's a smallish river but looks like it should hold some decent pike and bass, maybe other things too. It looks to be accessible by canoe in many spots, but I never see any boats or canoes on it. Ever fished it or heard anything about it?

in the wide parts of the veuve, there are a crazy amout of muskie and northerns feeding of the walleye. big baits work well. gold baits with a white trailer work exellent,(looks like a walleye). if your looking for bass try crawfish immitations like the chiggercraw. exellent. as for walleye bottom bouncing with a lindy rig& leech is great.

Thanks for the information, Patrick! Let me quiz you just a little more. The parts of the Veuve that I'm interested in are the stretches east of Verner and near Warren and Hagar and Markstay. Have you heard anything about those, or maybe fished them? Not specific spots, just a ball-park overview.

Edited by Jocko

Thanks for the information, Patrick! Let me quiz you just a little more. The parts of the Veuve that I'm interested in are the stretches east of Verner and near Warren and Hagar and Markstay. Have you heard anything about those, or maybe fished them? Not specific spots, just a ball-park overview.

the veuve goes very thin in some places. you can cast across the river fom shore lol. small pike and nice bass some perch and panfish are common here. i have cought 200 perch in 3 hours (5-13 inches) talk about a shore lunch! i only cept 15 of the bigger ones though. in the wide spots in marksday, very large pike are caught accidently by fishing for muskie. (the color i talked above) up to 25 pounds acutally. for a thin river it is very deep in some places. no worry for shoals, they are well marked and there minimal. fish the shoals on the back side of the currect. get your limit in pike walleye bass perch panfish etc. very popular for muskie too. there are jamm-packed behind the shoals.

good luck

patrick

Well that's a lot more than I expected to learn about the Veuve River from anyone. Not having heard anyone ever talk about the stretches I referred to, I thought info would be pretty hard to get. I'm glad I asked. Thanks, Patrick!

I have a 16' Abitibi canoe and a 2 HP Johnson that are crying to be used on smaller water on days when Nipissing is just too rough for either of my boats. Sounds like the Veuve will be well worth a try.

Edited by Jocko

....being as I live there....I'd love to hear your Elliot Lake secrets!?

Tips are not necessarily secrets. Just what worked for somebody else and might work for you.

Why the negative tone? Maybe he'll tell some things you wouldn't? ;)

What can you tell me about Ramsay Lake in downtown Sudbury? If seems most of the folks head for the west end of the lake.

How about McFarlane Lake also downtown here in Sudbury?

I havent got to these lakes yet as I have been trying the smaller lakes outside of town. I have had good luck in Kelly Lake though. We don't eat those fish though.

....being as I live there....I'd love to hear your Elliot Lake secrets!?

dunlop lake is a waste of time for lake trout. too small and rare. big bass however.(smallmouth) cought em up to 6 pounds on wacky worm green pumkin from yamomoto.walleye are ok at night in VERY shallow rockey shorelines at south bay. dunlop is alround a bad lake.. to many rock bass and bullhead if u fish live bait.

quirk lake has insane huge laketrout. dont eat them there full of murcury though. there fun to catch.(up to 30 lbs is not uncommon)

elliot lake itself is not bad. lake trout. walleye(dont bother) pike were accidently stocked. there rare but huge.

sm bass are abundant.

alot of little speckle trout lakes.. my fav. is flag lake. no bigger than a parking lot it has premuim fishing. pull one in one after another. a canoe or small 12 footer is required cause no launch.

depot has good pike fishing. but unmarked shoals are easy to hit with a fast boat.

for the lakers in these lakes use a green and chrome little cleo or a smaller williams

pike will eat anything.

bass like wacky worms n shaky heads. use rapalas dt7 in baby bass color.

walleye: you cant beat a lindy rig or jig n leech.

speckled: trool with little spoon or small jig with worm. (i had a 4 pound speckie hit a frog once)

have a good one.

Edited by patrick scott

What can you tell me about Ramsay Lake in downtown Sudbury? If seems most of the folks head for the west end of the lake.

How about McFarlane Lake also downtown here in Sudbury?

I havent got to these lakes yet as I have been trying the smaller lakes outside of town. I have had good luck in Kelly Lake though. We don't eat those fish though.

ramsey has great walleye fishing at dusk when the traffic is low. it is more a sport lake than a fishing lake. pike a rare and hammerhandles. bass are huge and great.(smallie). dont go befor 12 noon.. morning is a waste of time. light finesse work good for bass cause they have moderate pressure. walleye: bottom bouncing with spinner and worm. pike: jerkbait. (white xrap) fish the rocks for the walleye and smallmouth. pike arent to far behind. island are great. i have seen a school of walleye in the middle of the day cruising in 2ft of water on the shaol neer moonlight beach.

mcfalane= garbage. rock bass eat all the eggs. hammerhandle is all your going to get. if your lucky mabea a walleye.

dont eat fish in kelly lake

nepewassi has great walleye lm and sm bass muskie and pike fishing. use same techniques as ramsey as for the musky use a gold buckail with white grub trailer.

nepewassi is in estaire. best lake around imo.

good luck and if u need more questions just ask me.

How about Wahnaptai river at the coniston hydro dam( between wahnapitae and coniston off hwy 17 turn at water treatment plant) my grandfather worked for ontario hydro at the dam and my dad grew up there, they had about 8 houses , anyway they tell me stories about the big one's but every time i go no luck! any info? :D

dunlop lake is a waste of time for lake trout. too small and rare. big bass however.(smallmouth) cought em up to 6 pounds on wacky worm green pumkin from yamomoto.walleye are ok at night in VERY shallow rockey shorelines at south bay. dunlop is alround a bad lake.. to many rock bass and bullhead if u fish live bait.

I disagree, I caught lots of lakers there. It was a few years back and it was my first and only time on the lake but heck, I caught plenty of 2 to 5 pound lakers vertical jigging spoons down deep. Also a few walleye, big walleye and a friend managed to find some brookies, go figure.

Given the chance I'd fish it again.

I disagree, I caught lots of lakers there. It was a few years back and it was my first and only time on the lake but heck, I caught plenty of 2 to 5 pound lakers vertical jigging spoons down deep. Also a few walleye, big walleye and a friend managed to find some brookies, go figure.

Given the chance I'd fish it again.

we had a camp on the lake... lake trout are small... must of been a good day.and yes the walleye that are deep are big.

the smallmouth and walleye interfeer .. the smallies eat the trout eggs. brookies are up the river part.

How about Wahnaptai river at the coniston hydro dam( between wahnapitae and coniston off hwy 17 turn at water treatment plant) my grandfather worked for ontario hydro at the dam and my dad grew up there, they had about 8 houses , anyway they tell me stories about the big one's but every time i go no luck! any info? :D

great in the spring for walleye pike bass and perch. i use to use slip bobber and a leech.. did well. look for sharp bends in the river. fish the slow current side. if u want to jig use a weedless . rocks are big and snags are crazy. fish on overcast days. they like perch patterns if you use crainkbaits,

we had a camp on the lake... lake trout are small... must of been a good day.and yes the walleye that are deep are big.

the smallmouth and walleye interfeer .. the smallies eat the trout eggs. brookies are up the river part.

It was a good week. :) The brookies actually came from the lake.

We stayed at a camp on the south shore as you head west out of South Bay, the name of the camp escapes me. We fished exclusively from the camp to the extreme west end, never wet a line in South Bay.

oh ok cool. never fished much down there. is that where you got your walleye and trout?

how bout Halfway lake??

was there for a week n pretty much got skunked assides from what still stands as my biggest northern, well over 40" and TIK!

marked lots down deep, but no takers

halfway has a high acid content from the smoke stack at inco. The fishing is slow most of the time. like most acied lakes there a few fish but the few are big. use big baits and fish obvious spots. halfway got hit by a tornado a few years back. fish for bass in the blown trees. The fish in deep are trophies and require ALOT of detication to get em'. i remember marking a ton but nothing wroked. downrigging dipsy diving, big splitshots. etc. i got skunked. but the bass are big. i wouldent bother for the deep ones unless the bass arent on the bite or you have patiance like a saint.