where to fish in Temagami

johnt7

Couple of points of advice, If this is you're first trip GET A SHOAL MAP!!!!!!! This lake like to eat props and many of the back bays off the main lake are tricky to get into. The map will also help you pick out a few bass/walleye spots.

If you're staying at a lodge, ask around with guests and the owner to get going.

Bass are abundant and can be almost anywhere. I'd start in the mid sized main lake bays - the more islands and structure the better. Look for the shorelines that have a lot of junk, wood and big rock. Work the shorleines with the trolling motor and cast to structure. Weeds are very scarce but if you find some in 6 feet of water or deeper fish it.

The walleye fishing has been slow this year due to weather but sounds like it's getting going now. Look for any smaller boats trolling shorelines or still fishing on points or shoals. Make a note of those spots and try them when there's nobody there. Walleye bite is mostly early morning of evenings. Worm harnesses and jigs are standard fair.

The laker fishing is good but it is very structure related. You can troll the deeper water and this lake is full of it and you'll connect with a few fish but watch the finder for any humps, deep shoals, points and especially deep bluff shorleines. Riggers are the best way to fish but if it's calm try jigging. If you can mark trout in deeper water and stay on them you can catch them. Standard ice fishing jigs will all work but I like the bad boyz tipped with berkley gulp. Try drop shotting too. This has been working well for me the last couple years

Most lodges on the lake have boat rentals in the back lakes too. Great day adventure and some fantastic fishing to be had. Walleye, Bass and speckles lakes are available and some have very easy short portages. Worms are a go to bait on the lake and I'd advise picking up a half or full flat. Buying by the dozen gets expensive.

North or south?? Take you're pick. There both about the same. The south has Cross Lake but that's a trip I'd make only with a map, gps and possible someone whose been in there before. It's take a bit of effort but worth it.

I'll be up at Wishin You Were Fishing the last 10 days in July. Hope the weathers good and the fish are bitin!