carlisle tires

bassdreamer

004.JPGi was wondering if this ever happen to anyone.The tire was about 6 yrs old ,but never seen the road.I called the tire company and sent pictures to them and was told that my warranty was over ,which i understand.They were going to put it in for warranty and if it goes threw i will have to pay a fifty dollar shipping charge.

What do you think caused the tire to do this,a tire defect or the tire sittcing in the sun? The tire pressure was correct.

Over the past few years there has been much talk about tire age and the fatalities link to "old" new tires. North America recommends replacing all tires 10 years or older (Europe recommends 6) even if never used and never buy/use a tire that is older than 6. There is now talk of establishing a policy that all tires have an expiration date.

quote from some of the tire info....

"Tires deteriorate over time, even if they are not used or driven on. The tires may appear to be in like-new condition on the outside, but inside the rubber is slowly deteriorating. This may dangerously weaken the tire and increase the risk of a blowout at high speed or during hot weather."

Appears that your tire is a perfect example. Hope there was no other damage and that you are able to get the tire replaced.

Well, the sun will certainly dry out the rubber in a tire for sure. I have a poor opinion of Carlisle tires in general- have gone through several over the years. Will ante up for Goodyear Marathon radial next time around.

I found even towing around a small tinny,the rubber wear was very bad.Buy quailty like posted by musky66 recommended.

Six years old and never seen the road is just as bad if not worse than being used. Tires have a compound built into them that remains "active" for lack of a better description and when sitting idle or used as a spare, the active agent can't keep the rubber pliable, so tires dry out and then explode. There are infinite stories of this on RV forums. Carlisle tires aren't the best brand either, but, considering where about 99% of trailer tires come from, that's no wonder. Unless mistaken Goodyears are not made in N/A either. Keep an eye on the pressure and better to have them inflated to maximum allowable than to have them underinflated, running hot and ..Ka-pow. Good luck with the warranty.

Tidbit.- I am amazed at how a couple of decades old tires on a property I bought have deteriorated. One actually has a 100 ft tree growing up threw it and actually looks sort of neat, when one thinks of how long it must have been there.

You folks have reminded me that I have to buy a spare tire/rim for my trailer....thank-you

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61