Musky spinning rod reccomendations

Jonaton

We had our yearly week at the cottage this past week and my wife got her first pike and now would like to move up to joining me on some of my musky outings. Try as I might she is just not getting the hang of a baitcaster and would like to stick with a spinning set up. I spent some time looking at rods and there are not too many out there that are rated for throwing bigger lures, or at least not that I came across. As it will be her one rod it needs to be an all round musky rod and in the $100-$120ish range if that is possible. It doesn't have to nececarily be a musky specific rod just have enough backbone to get the job done.

I'll add the cottage report later but needless to say I will not be returning to Crowe lake again any time soon.

Thanks

Jonaton

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/gl...d_Spinning.html

I use this one for pike and when I am tossing lighter muskie lures. There is another one rated over an ounce...but couldn't find it. I like that it is two piece and it's long enough for when a bigger fish runs under the boat. They have strength and can handle muskie. I had a 40 pound king moving down river and the rod held up with a beauty arch.

get her a Berkley GORILLA STICK! it is 2 peices and will handle just about anything you wanna use it for.

I have 2 and I personally prefer a cork grip( they are eva foam), so they used to lay there...until my wife/daughters tried them!!

They are their FAVEs now!! :D

I am not allowed to use them anymore! I just get to rig them etc. :angry:

Both are paired with Shimano Spirex 4000 series reels and you should be able to get rod & reel for $100 CDN!

FT

I have seen my brother catch a couple beauty ski's ( 44" and 47") on a 6'6 med gorilla stick and a quantum energy reel. I think the only reason for a big rod is to chuck huge lures not the actual fight of the fish.

Shimano makes a compre spinning rod designed for musky. I think its about $140.
This is the one I was looking at and it just so happened that one is for sale here in the classifieds, hopefully I can post my wifes first musky soon.

Guest steel'n'esox
Spinning rods and muskie baits shouldn't be used in the same sentence..

If you plan on throwing big baits, a casting setup is the only way to go...

I use to think the same, I now use two 7ft musky series Shimano compres, unfortunately I sold the very first one I had until I came to my senses, these rods are great for jigs ie creatures and reapertails and storm 6inch shads, and bomber long Amags and for beginners who havnt mastered baitcasters but want the thrill of catching muskies and pike and want the beef to bring the fish in with minimal stress due to prolong fighting the 7ft shimano or any other rod manufactuer who specializes in a musky sseries spinning rod is the way to go.