problem with lowrance lcx 27c

Fish4Eyes

For those that have lowrance units, do you notice it constantly makes a tick noise? I have the lcx27c and ever since i bought it, it makes this ticking noise. Last time I took the boat out of the water I left the unit on. And I can clearly hear that it is coming from the transducer, and when I put my finger on the bottom of the transducer, I can feel that the transducer is twitching. Is this normal? The sound sure is annoying. It is constant and never goes away. Another thing I noticed is that when I don't have fish ID on it never really marks fish, even with the sensitivity adjusted. Although this could have to do with it not being set up properly, but who knows. I know I have the transducer mounted correctly because it does scan the bottom at WOT (28mph). Any suggestions?

Edited by Fish4Eyes

The ticking noise is normal it's the transducer that is transducing!!! Not showing fish is possibly adjustements or there is no fish to show! even if fish-Id shows a fish it is possible that it takes unwanted noise(weeds) and shows it as fish.

The thing is it doesn't show fish anywhere. I have never seen an arch on the screen since I have owned the unit. I cant be that bad of a fisherman :lol: . What settings would I need to adjust to get them to show, other than sensitivity?

First thing to do is too make sure you take it off Automatic. then just go anchor somewhere and play with it. Or go on the Lowrance website and dowload your sonar's emulator and play with it on your computer. they have all sorts of articles on there also to be able to set it up the way you want it.

Okay, try this. First adjust the transducer so that the bottom is level with the bottom of the boat. You may have to adjust it a bit to compensate for the way the boat sits in the water, if the bow sits a bit high when anchored then your transducer will be pointing too far forward, point the transducer nose down a bit. Go anchor your boat somewhere, say 20 feet of water, tie on a 1/4 oz jig to your rod and lower down below the transducer, it should pick it up and you'll see a line across the graph, in calm water, you should be able to do that down to at least 100 feet deep. Again, a little adjustment makes a big difference. Good luck.

i would just go to a bay or somewhere calm about 20-30 FOW. Put on a heavy spoon or something drop it below the boat near the transducer and see if you can spot a line on the graph. if you can see your line on the graph and when you jig the spoon the graph follows your lure it's working perfectly.

It's broken, I'll give you $100 for it. ;)

Which 'ducer do you have for it? single freq 200k or dual freq 50/200k?

If you have the dual and are running on 200k, no arches isn't surprising. The cone angle is so narrow a fish swimming through the cone may just leave a blip on screen.

Make sure you have the latest software updates and give the jig a try. If you can make your way to Woodstock sometime, Jos at Angling Outfitters can update and set it up for you.

It's broken, I'll give you $100 for it. ;)

Which 'ducer do you have for it? single freq 200k or dual freq 50/200k?

If you have the dual and are running on 200k, no arches isn't surprising. The cone angle is so narrow a fish swimming through the cone may just leave a blip on screen.

Make sure you have the latest software updates and give the jig a try. If you can make your way to Woodstock sometime, Jos at Angling Outfitters can update and set it up for you.

Hey Hey HEY thats a brutal price........I'll give you $150 cash money, That unit is worth every penny you paid, I own one and this thing is stronger then the computer Im typeing from right now.

i would just go to a bay or somewhere calm about 20-30 FOW. Put on a heavy spoon or something drop it below the boat near the transducer and see if you can spot a line on the graph. if you can see your line on the graph and when you jig the spoon the graph follows your lure it's working perfectly.

<_< Nothing like a bit of copy cat..

I have noticed that I do see the line on the graph when jigging, and it responds with hardly any delay at all. But the jig really has to be directly underneath the transducer. It is a dual frequency 50/200khz and I run it on 200khz with automatic setting turned on. Do you guys recommend I set it on 50khz? Sounds like I really have to go see this Jos guy everybody and their grandmother has recommended him. Does anybody have his contact info? Thanks for all the replies!

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Well if you see the line then at least you know the unit is working. If I remember correctly, the 50hz setting is usually for the much deeper water to get a better signal return. If you're in less than a 100' deep I would stick with the 200hz setting and increase the sensitivity a bit. There's many days I've been out on the water, mark absolutely no fish, but still catching them. It only means the fish aren't in the area covered by the transducer signal.

Guest gbfisher

Leave it on Automatic and turn the 'FISH ID' feature off. If you can mark a jig while jigging the only thing wrong is that you are not on fish.... :D

I rarely use my finder to find fish unless they are in deep water(25 fow plus) The cone is so narrow in shallow water that if you take your eyes off the unit....you'll miss them................................. ;)

If you have to play with the ducer continually when it used to work properly.....you need a new one.

I would hope I don't need a new one. The unit may of been used 30 times. Bought last summer, transducer may still be on warranty, as the unit came with a 1 year warranty. Ill have to look into this with Jos, sooner than later by the sounds of it.

I would hope I don't need a new one. The unit may of been used 30 times. Bought last summer, transducer may still be on warranty, as the unit came with a 1 year warranty. Ill have to look into this with Jos, sooner than later by the sounds of it.

You bought it from Jos @ Angling Outfitters?

in that case you have nothing to worry about, give him a call and he will walk you through the proper setup.

what is the software version? 2.4.0 is what you should have.

No I bought it from grimsby tackle in grimsby. They had the best price. I will have to check the version when I get home from work. Has there been a software update for this unit since last summer?

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Guest gbfisher

a software update will not help you any if the TD doesnt work properly.

Two guys I know in the passed year alone have had Td propblems with new units. They both had to replace the Td. In their case they could not mark bottm very well.

nothing worse than a fishfinder that cant find fish eh?!?!....... :D

No I bought it from grimsby tackle in grimsby. They had the best price. I will have to check the version when I get home from work. Has there been a software update for this unit since last summer?

for LCX 27C software update version 2.4.0 came out 30.9.2008, Go to 'Manu 'System Setup' then 'Software Information'

OR when you fist turn the unit ON the software version is displayed in the bottom left corner but only for a second or two.

Your problem might not be software related BUT the first question anybody offering tech help will ask is What software you running?