Hooking up more than one 12v

TJQ

next time I go up to camp, i want to hook up a couple of car batteries to a 12v light in the camp so I have lite for a bit after I turn the genny off at night...

in order to keep it at 12V do I just hook the two neg and the two pos together??

Yes Boss,

Just hook them up in parallel to give you 12 volts, but double the amp hours. This is positive to positive, and negative to negative. You could hook even more batteries up this way to extend the run time.

If hooked in series, they will give you 24 volts approx.

Just keep in mind that "performance level" of both batteries should be as close as possible. Do not connect good (new)battery and well used. It will shorten life of your good battery significantly. Adding two simple switches will allow you to drain/recharge each battery separately.

TJ and electricity? That might be even better than TJ and fire. :lol:

Ive good stories regarding both.. lol...

Thanks for the advice guys.

The answer to your question TJ is YES. Two negatives together and two positives together. If you wanted the two 12 volt batteries to make 24 volts, you`d connect a positive to the negative of the batteries and then connect your accessory to the outside positive of one battery and to the outside negative of the other.

You`ll see the diagrams HERE!

Bubba.