My Opening Day adventure

danbouck

We started out late leaving Cambridge at 6:30 friday night heading down to Long Point.

100_0100.jpg

James' Dog was ready to go and it was a beautiful drive on the way down. Notice the colour of my skin here and compare later

100_0096.jpg

100_0104.jpg

We got to the dock and loaded everything up in the boat. Every year we take the boat to Port Rowan and dock there for the night with my dad in his boat. When we arrived late I noticed that he wasn't there yet. I was a little worried because he just put a new cam, high rise intake and 650 holley double pumper carb on the 350 in his boat. I called him up and sure enough he's stranded on the lake in front of Turkey Point and can't get the engine started (he drives it from Port Dover to Port Rowan). He wants me to come and tow him in (he's got a 26' bayliner that's 10,000lbs, it's dark, and 10 miles away), so the coast guard is called in. I am pretty sure that my 16.5' with a 50HP would not tow him in. It sounds to me like the timing was off so I tell him to leave it for a bit and try and start it when it's cold. Now i don't hear from him for a bit but the coast guard was called off so he must have got it running. Sure enough in he comes like a bat outta hell 1 hour later.

100_0124.jpg

After that we shared a few wobbly pops before heading to bed for the night. These were the sleeping quarters for the night.

100_0123.jpg

100_0107.jpg

It was such a beautiful night we left the back cover off.

100_0127.jpg

Next morning we were up when the sun peeked up and were about to experience the worst opening day fishing ever. We went to are usual first spot and caught 2 smallies pretty quick. One goes back and one in the livewell. We keep fishing but got NOTHING! Last year we caught about 30 in half an hour.

We moved to a different spot and James got a good one on. It jumped once, then twice and spit the hook, This was a sign of how are day was gonna go. I was upset because I took Friday off work replacing trebles and sharpening hooks. We ended up catching a few rock bass there but that was it.

He decided to troll for a bit to see if that will get some in the boat. About 5 minutes in with my firetiger J-11 and get a good one. It's fighting good and jumped once, then twice and spit the hook. That was followed by me sitting down and muttering curse words under my breath. We trolled for about two hours and got a few perch, WGSF and one more smallie.

100_0129.jpg

This was the only size we caught today.

As we were gonna head in for lunch my dad calls me "Can you tow me in" :wallbash: The belt for the alternator and water pump broke. We go over and assess the situation. I tell him that his 350 will make it to shore but just make it fast. Off he went as I followed him in. He made it just fine without overheating. We call around for a belt but they want a number off the waterpump, there isn't one. Apparently there are 22 different belts for it :wallbash: We call my cousin Gary and say "how many different belts for a 350 do you have laying around" his reply was " I don't know about 20" :thumbsup_anim: 1 hour later she's up and running again.

After a bite to eat we go back out and end up with a couple more rockies and then started trolling again. We had two more smallies spit the hooks on us. We had as many hooks spit out today then I have in my entire life put together.

It was about 3:30 and time to go in to see the weigh in. The winning smallie was just over 5lbs. It was a slow day for most people out there. One of my uncles came over to tell me he caught his limit in an hour in the one spot we decided not to go. I will try there next time

100_0132.jpg

Today I am in pain because I forgot the suncreen at home :wallbash: and I mean PAIN :stretcher:

100_0137.jpg

At the end it was still great. Had some good times, Shared some experiences and we will be back out in a couple days. I hope everyone had a good opener and got to enjoy the beautiful day.

Dan Bouck