Trout fishing on the Rouge River but what did I catch...

ben306

Well I caught more than trout, I managed Trout, Carp, SM Bass and something Im not sure off!

Mate turned up and picked me up at half 8 yesterday morning and we headed up to a spot he knows, its basically right by a golf course near the 407 highway, sorry, could be wrong as I dont know the area.

Anyhow, we parked up and got the gear, walked about 10 minutes and then he points and says that it. It looks like a small storm drain, and knowing that my friend isnt the best angler in the world I didnt want to say anything.

So I persuaded him to move downstream looking for pools and deeper water and we cam across a deep bend. Few casts of small #1 mepps resulted in a number of small brown trout. Chuffed we'd actually caught something now. Then I spot a carp, 5-6lb in the smallest river ever, just couldnt believe it. So IO asked him if he knew carp where in here to get the reply, 'oh, yeah but Ive never caught one on spinners' lol.

So headed down a little further and came to a deep rocky pool, good size aswell and I started casting away, hooked a few fish that I dont know what they are............. If I was back home in the UK I'd have said they where chub, but dont know here, any ideas? caught on small spinners.

Carried on working the pool, then bang, had a proper little fight (Thought it was a big brown) but got it to the surface and its a BASS!!! get in, my 1st ever bass, on bass opener when fishing for trout.

Anyhow as the day went on, I got 3 Bass, all about 1.5lb, nothing big and caught on small spinners

Bass.jpg

(sorry pics are crap, taken on mates phone and he video'd instead of taking pictures)

About a dozen brown trout, all under 1lb, and about 5-6 of them 'unidentified' fish

Finally, I cant resist carp, and after spotting as few behind a fallen tree, I baited up an area just downstream of it, also did similar in a pool below with a sandy bottom. Now a little secret for you fishing for Carp, take a tin of sweetcorn, and half a loaf of white bread, liquidise both of them up (Seperately) and put in containers, when on the watersie, mix them together to make a 'slop' mix, throw in 2 handfuls and you'll see a cloud, this is full of flavour and the fish home straight in on it, throw a dozen free offerings around it(try and keep the area as tight as possible).

Then fishing a simple paternoster rig with a spade size 14 hook (if your sizing here is the same as the UK) and a small bomb (weight) to hold bottom. Fish with 2 grains of corn on the hook and fish in the baited areas.

Let the areas rest fo 20 minutes before you make a cast tho. then its simly tighten up and watch the rod tip (keep hold of the rod)

I managed to land 7, 3 got away, but good fun when they are in the 5-8lb bracket. and even more so when you are only fishing 4lb line and have a 10ft spinning rod.

Carp.jpg

Edited by ben306

Well back in the UK I'd have said they where chub, but wasnt sure if you had them here.

Definately a good day, and now I just need to figure out how to get there on the TTC from downtown Toronto haha