Sirius Radio

Fishnwire

I've had Sirius satellite radio for about a year now. I really like it. I hate to admit this, but I'm kind of addicted to Stern. The music is quite good as well. Here's the problem though:

The thing has never really ran right. I can pretty much count on a period (of anywhere between 1 and 12 hours) every day in which the radio attempts "acquiring signal" and fails to do so, regardless of how or where I orientate the receiver. I have one for the Jeep and two portable "boom box" set-ups (for camp and home) and experience this problem on all three.

Factors such as weather or where I'm driving seem to have no effect. My portable at camp for example will be working fine one minute and then can't seem to find the signal the next...only later to come in fine again, even though the receiver on the roof never moves the whole time.

I think it's probably the actual radio itself. (Sportster 5) There's a signal strength meter on it, and although the manual depicts the meter having up to three bars, I have NEVER seen more than two. It's been about a year or more since I bought it so there's probably no warranty at this point. Does anyone else experience similar problems and/or does anyone know of anything I can do to rectify it?

I have it for a year on my new Ram 1500. I love it. I listen to Octane Radio (CH 20) and the Play Boy Channel. There are ALOT of weirdo's who call that line and it makes me laugh my arse off.

The only time i have troubles with it is when I go under anything like a bridge or a gas station. In weather it holds up well.

Your antenae is faulty. Call Sirius.

I've had my Sirius for three years. No problems. I've run a side by side test with an XM in my work truck and the Sirius gets much better reception.

I love Stern too. That's nothing to be ashamed of.

stern ahollic here!!!!, then the wrap up show, then the repeat, then i hit channel 28 jay ellis 3-7pm , i sometimes get the signal issue on my boom box, i find the gear is cheap, or made cheap anyways the suction cup mount for the window broke so i just use the boom box 24/7 in the car .

I have the 09 caliber. It has the 110v plug in the middle console.

OH GOOD FOR YOU

Got it on both the new cars and absolutely no problems. And I can't believe it's an antenna issue the way the car squirms around on the ground. Unless the non-auto antennas are directional which doesn't make sense if they can use omni-directional for cars. The only time I lose signal is under bridges or in my garage.

JF

Sounds like a radio problem to me.

I have had both XM and Sirius and Sirius does have much better reception.

Especially when you get to the higher latitudes. ;)

The only real problem I have is in the Western Yukon and Alaska.

All those dang mountains get in the way of reception. :angry:

Why the guilt over Stern? I love him, hope he doesn't retire. Some like him , some don't, no big deal.

I'd put money on the antenna. I've had mine for four years and have replaced three of them. Called customer service, complained and they gave me one. The third went on a Florida trip and I ended up buying one down there for the trip home. No way I was going to drive twenty hours without Stern, Blue Collar or the Nascar channel. My radio's tell tale sign of the thing dying is the hunting for a signal and it just keeps getting worse over time, longer and longer 'Aquiring Signal' messages till it doesn't work at all.

The guy I talked to said they were having quality issues with those antennas. So give them a call, it can't hurt. The one they sent was two years ago but I'm sure if you say you might give up your subscription because of it they might help you out. The antenna's aren't cheap, almost worth buying a new receiver :angry: .

Stern is the ONLY reason I got Sirius. I have never had problems with a signal except when I go under a long overpass or thru a tunnel. If you haven't heard the Miserable Men on Sunday nights, you gotta hear them. Next best thing to Howard.

Stern is the ONLY reason I got Sirius. I have never had problems with a signal except when I go under a long overpass or thru a tunnel. If you haven't heard the Miserable Men on Sunday nights, you gotta hear them. Next best thing to Howard.

same here.. got it for stern, but kept it for bubba the love sponge.. even put a bubba army bumper sticker on the boat this spring :)

my money would also be on a bad antenna.

mike

Ive been listening to Stern since 1989 when I first moved to NY... Great morning ride. Worth every penny of what I pay Sirius. LOL..

I don't "get" Stern and friends. But then I don't "get" any of this reality tv. There's not much reality about it. Just a bunch of folks trying for their few seconds of fame by being offensive on tv. That seems to describe Stern as well.

But I sure like the old music. Channel 6 is almost always on my car radio. Takes me back to the post-puberty years. :D

JF

same here.. got it for stern, but kept it for bubba the love sponge.. even put a bubba army bumper sticker on the boat this spring :)

my money would also be on a bad antenna.

mike

Ditto on the Bubba The Love Sponge.....

my guess is the radio... no problems at all with mine...