June in review thus far.

fishnsled

Well it’s been a while since I’ve had a report and figured I better put one together before I leave on the fly in. (Not that I haven't been keeping an eye on this place. ;) ) So here’s the month of June in review. Also known as the month to down size.

The day started off great. Made up a thermos of java, loaded the last couple of items in the truck, and I was off. Nothing like driving down the highway with boat it tow as the first light of day is coming upon us. Being the first one at the launch is always great too. With the boat loaded and on the lake I was off to spot number 1. :thumbsup_anim:

When I came down off plane and went to fire off the first cast of the season I couldn’t believe the nerve of someone and their music. Very annoying to say the least and was pretty po’d. I was even more po’d when I realized that the music was coming from my radio. My alarm clock radio that I forgot to change alarm time on. :wallbash::wallbash:

So my day didn’t start off perfect. I was late on the first day of musky season. I still made it on the water by 8:30am and had a smallish fish follow shortly after. I fished for a few more hours and didn’t see another musky. I decided to switch up to a Bernie jig (well one that Joe and Gerritt had help out with as well) to see if I could get a walleye or 2. A few casts and bamm! Fish on!

It was staying down and made a few good runs, first thought was right, musky. A little guy but the first of the season to the boat. A couple of pics for Bernie and I popped the hook while she was still in the water. That would be my opening day.

IMG_5965.jpg

IMG_5966.jpg

The following weekend I didn’t sleep in. Was on the water by 7am and started to see if I could get an eye or 2 before the sun got up too high. My second cast I ended up with this. 47 x 17. (Medium action spinning rod with 8 pound test.)

IMG_5968.jpg

IMG_5972.jpg

And the release.

IMG_5973.jpg

My very next cast I lost another that I never saw. Forgot about the walleyes and started casting musky baits around for a few hours and only had 1 more small skie follow up. Went back to trying for some eyes and got 2. A 4 and an 9……..inchers. Never caught a 4 inch walleye before. A ton of small perch and decided to call it a day.

This past Friday I had it off and went out with my buddy Malcolm. A very bright, calm, hot day on the water made for some slow fishing for us. Worked some weedlines that broke off into some deep water for some eyes. Ended up getting nothing but one OOS bass that was quickly released. Moved to some mid-lake humps and picked up a few bluegills. Went to another weedline and picked up a catfish of about a 1 ½ pounds or so. Trolled for some muskies for a few hours and came up with nothing. Hit a weed flat to see if we might get a meal of bluegills and ended up with a Kawartha monster. 28x14 8 3/4 pounds! Great job on the pictures Malcolm.

The battle on an ultralite oufit and 4 pound test mono, last years line at that. :w00t:

image004.jpg

Colourfix1.jpg

Colourfix2b.jpg

and the release.

Colourfix3.jpg

Covered some more water and didn’t get much else. A great day none the less.

Father’s day was yet another lake with the old man. First time on the water together since the hard water season. The target fish were walleye but would take whatever was biting. We ended up with a few pan size eyes, one musky slash at the bait at the side of the boat, and a bunch of perch.

A couple of the eyes we got.

IMG_6009.jpg

IMG_6008.jpg

A good day on the water with 2 exceptions. The first with the :asshat: in the Nitro that cut right in front of our drift. I could have hit the side of hit boat with my ¼ ounce jig but chose to repeatedly cast it in front of him to let him know I was there. After a few minutes of this I informed him that there was much more water to fish then the 30 ft in front of my boat. He could has fished 30 feet on either side of me and I wouldn’t have cared too much…but when you pull your boat in front of my casts, that’s is just plain being inconsiderate of a your fellow angler.

The second was the boat launch chaos with one person stuck and needing a tow. Another that just couldn't seem to get the boat on the trailer. The next person was very impressive and I don’t mean that in a sarcastic way. She pulled the truck around, backed down the launch, her husband drove the boat up to the trailer perfectly. She attached the winch cable and cranked up the boat and they were out of there in a couple of minutes. They should give lessons they did it so well. And I was out of there just as fast, incase you were wondering. ;)

All in all it was a great way to spend father’s day I’d say and a great month of June so far. The last weekend of the month will take me back to Cochrane Air services and will be flying into Mikwam Lake again this year. I figure that will be a report on it’s own. For those going to Lakair, have a great time and I’ll be looking forward to those reports. For those staying closer to home for the bass opener I'll be looking forward to those reports as well. Tightlines and be safe.

Epic brother, simply epic!

Old school Bernie jig is simply killer!

Have a great time up north, like you need me to tell yah that and I know we will be in for Epic report number 2.

Good to see your Dad doing well too!

Drive safe brother!

HH

Excellent report and pics!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

That is a Killer Wall-ice!!! :clapping:

IMG_5966.jpg

I think I've seen one of those Musky lures before!!! ;)

Ya gotta love the Boat Launch Bozo's!!! :lol:

I know it's kind of aggravating when you're in a hurry, and I used to get irritated with them... but now I just sit back and watch them, they can really be amusing at times!

Edited by GCD