Wild Brownies

wallacio

After fishing the major hatches intensively in May and early to mid June, I usually hang up the 4wt by this time of year as the water is normally too skinny and warm. This year has been a pleasant exception with cool temperatures and ample precipitation (including a recent good soaking) so I decided to head out one last time before this heat wave shuts things down for July and most of August.

With the water being a bit high and slightly stained and still just on the cool side of 70F, the fish were very happy tonight including a few bigger ones that wanted to play!

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

What a beautiful fish they are. Yanno, I've probably caught every species of North American freshwater fish and lots of saltwater but for some reason I just never got a brown. Maybe I'll pick one up before I hit the BIG gates. :D

Congrats to you.

What a beautiful fish they are. Yanno, I've probably caught every species of North American freshwater fish and lots of saltwater but for some reason I just never got a brown. Maybe I'll pick one up before I hit the BIG gates. :D

Congrats to you.

Well as mentioned in my introduction Roy, Brown's are the only non-Perch fish I've picked up in the last 24 years!

hpim2836.jpg

I guess I can cross them off the "before the BIG gates list" ;)

Beauty fish Dave! It's the only trout I've ever caught!... Although looking to expand my horizons.

After fishing the major hatches intensively in May and early to mid June, I usually hang up the 4wt by this time of year as the water is normally too skinny and warm. This year has been a pleasant exception with cool temperatures and ample precipitation (including a recent good soaking) so I decided to head out one last time before this heat wave shuts things down for July and most of August.

With the water being a bit high and slightly stained and still just on the cool side of 70F, the fish were very happy tonight including a few bigger ones that wanted to play!

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

All in a days work!!!

Great job man!

Thanks for the kind replies all.

Those are some nice trout. What was working? Dry, emerger?

All taken on nymphs (mostly Pheasant Tail variants, Copper Johns etc - anything that approximates Mayfly nymphs). There weren't any hatches to speak of so the fish weren't looking up.