went musky fishing on Scugog on Father's day

GBW

So I got the fishing gift all anglers want on father's day, a long time out on the water fishing! Well, at least that's the gift I asked for and got it... ;):D I hooked up at 9:00 with cpguy29 (Jeff) at West Shore Marina, got in his boat and took off in search of some big fish with big teeth. Let me tell you, trying to chuck big bait on that lake is a heck of a task! especially when trying to fish with a new baitcaster... the weather was good but I was dressed for a much warmer day but I was out fishing with a new friend so it didn't matter.

Spot 1, no luck we chucked big spinners all a long the line with no takers other then some OOS bass that never should have been hitting those spinners.

Spot 2, same as spot one but the OOS bass are getting much bigger. Still no follows from any musky or none that I had seen.

Spot 3, hummm, a lot like spot's 1 and 2 but wait, a glimmer of hope! I rather large musky jumps out of the water about 150/200 yards away, yippee, let's go get em! We slowly make our way over to where I point out to Jeff and fish it hard. Oh yeah I'm thinking I'm pumped my fist musking is my father's day gift from the fishing God's.... no such luck...

So we decide to move closer to the marina and that's when the rains came. I way under dressed sat in the back of Jeff's boat shivering like a child as he was doing his best to get us back as dry as we could be. Lucky me got to use Jeff as a shield for part of the way as he was protected by the console. We got back to the marina, tied the boat up and then thought, huh, it's not raining let's try and get back out! Just as we got to where we wanted to fish the wall of rain started chasing us down again so we called it a day.

At the end of it all, we fished together from 9 AM to 3:30 (or so) PM and had a fun day out on the water. Sorry for not posting any pic's but the perch were decent size and the bass were all to camera shy as they were OOS still. I very much look forward to my next outing with Jeff, aka cpguy29. Thanks Jeff I had a blast! A bit sun burnt but still a great day out on the water with a new friend.

Cheer!

Geoff

Hum :huh: I am at a loss on this. I guessed someone of the over 180 viewers would offer help or comment on this. I gather nobody knows where to go for musky on Scugog or tell me some tip's? Thanks for reading.

There are tons of muskies in there. Just don't need the 200 people who "read" this post knowing where, when and what to throw. I can't imagine the amount of time and money that I have spent on that lake figuring stuff out (in the rain) but it's a lot. If you are willing to go through a few dozen more days like the one you just had, you will figure them out too.....then you can tell thousands of strangers exactly what you learned during the hundreds of hours you spent on the water.

Getting upset because people don't just give you water, because you went fishing once and didn't hook up, is simply ridiculas IMO.

RR

river rat, I'm not upset, just puzzled... I offer help all the time I'm on the site when I can so I was shocked that not even one person said "check your PM" and shot me a note saying "try this bait" or something or offered it up here as common knowledge. that's all, but thanks.

Shoot, I didn't even see this post. It was good to finally get out fishing with ya Geoff. Im looking forward to hitting the Bog with you again. I was out there on Wed. and stung a nice size musky in one of the spots we fished on the weekend, lost him on the hookset. If there is no rain forcasted we will take the long run over to the secret spot.

Cheers

Jeff

Sorry .. just read this ... just about any weedline with a spinner bait at the right time and at the right speed .. and with a little help from above ... and you're guaranteed an (eventual) hookup .... seriously I moored my boat on the bog for several seasons with only a few follows and precious few walleye ... dont feel to bad :)

You know GBW, with the Bog being as close as it is to Brooklin, you'd think I'd want to dump the boat in there more often. But I don't. It may be my least favourite body of water to fish. I'm sure that if I caught fish out there with more ferquency, I'd like it better. Until then... <_<

Shoot, I didn't even see this post. It was good to finally get out fishing with ya Geoff. Im looking forward to hitting the Bog with you again. I was out there on Wed. and stung a nice size musky in one of the spots we fished on the weekend, lost him on the hookset. If there is no rain forcasted we will take the long run over to the secret spot.

Cheers

Jeff

Hey Jeff, not to worry. i'm sure we can get out again soon and stick it to them when we go.

Sorry .. just read this ... just about any weedline with a spinner bait at the right time and at the right speed .. and with a little help from above ... and you're guaranteed an (eventual) hookup .... seriously I moored my boat on the bog for several seasons with only a few follows and precious few walleye ... dont feel to bad :)

N/P camillj, jeff and tried every spinner type bait we had but the weeds are UP big time already so a new patter is going to be the key.

You know GBW, with the Bog being as close as it is to Brooklin, you'd think I'd want to dump the boat in there more often. But I don't. It may be my least favourite body of water to fish. I'm sure that if I caught fish out there with more ferquency, I'd like it better. Until then... <_<

HAHAHA, I'll be on 4 mile on the 4th so I'll be testing it out and get back to you ASAP, unless we don't get out again till the fall river run... ;)

Sounds like it was one of those days the fish were not biting. I usually use spinnerbaits or maybe a top water plug or buss bait for the toothy critters, on Scugog.

Edited by mikeh

Sounds like it was one of those days the fish were not biting. I usually use spinnerbaits or maybe a top water plug or buss bait for the toothy critters, on Scugog.

Thanks! Something other then a spinner will be rigged up next time on a rod. Now that means I have to bring 4 with me... :D

GBW, after reading this post it sounds like you and your partner have some secrets too. LOL

RR

Not that stick it to them! I love TNA way to much! LOL