Weather Network wind predictions

jediangler

Looking at wind predictions for tomorrow in the Kawarthas I've found that the weatherman is just guessing.

All these predictions are for the afternoon tomorrow.

Apsley-SW 10km/h

Bobcaygeon-S 5km/h

Buckhorn-S 5km/h

Lindsay- N 5km/h

Omemee- NE 5km/h

Port Perry- W 5km/h

Peterborough-SE 5km/h

These towns are all within an hour of each other, yet the wind will be blowing 5 different directions.

I want a job where you can screw up daily and still get paid. Wait a minute, I already worked in the auto industry, so never mind.

You just noticed that they give wrong predictions? They constantly give wrong predictions. I've even seen them saying in the morning that it will be a sunny day, and then 5 hours later it was raining. They changed it to rain after they saw it started raining. If you ask me, that is not a prediction but a pure observation. I can do the same thing by looking out my window. Just by observing the sky at night and watching the atmospheric pressure trend you can in most cases predict the weather better than what they do. You would think that with all the new technology they would do a better job. They also get paid well, so I guess we should all start 'guessing' the weather.

I'm not a professional, but do dabble in weather. There is a low pressure headed our way. If that low tracks just north of Lindsay, and it's tightly wound, then the winds do make sense...remember, low pressure systems rotate in a counterclockwise position. Problem is, low pressure systems move, so all those areas are likely to experience shifting winds all day long.

I live in Apsley, there can be two or three different weather patterns between here and Peterborough. Peter seems to be in the Lake Ontario sphere of influence.

To the north of that weather seems to be controlled by the Kawartha Lakes, but after Burleigh Falls, you are going up hill fast and you find a different set of conditions. On High pressure days, the whole area can be under sunny skies, but with lower pressure, you can have rain wind and hail in one area and just an overcast day in another.

I can't say for sure in this particular situation, but those differences in direction are certainly possible. That said, other than this past week with the nice days we've had the forecast hasn't been right for North Bay for more than 3hrs at a time, it's been particularly bad this year imo.

I'm not a professional, but do dabble in weather. There is a low pressure headed our way. If that low tracks just north of Lindsay, and it's tightly wound, then the winds do make sense...remember, low pressure systems rotate in a counterclockwise position. Problem is, low pressure systems move, so all those areas are likely to experience shifting winds all day long.

Very true. i'm at work at the moment (air traffic controller at pearson) and the system is tracking through as i write this. it really doesn't take much of a deviation of the system for you to get a completely different wind direction in a specific area. Also as ccmt says above, as it moves the winds will shift significantly. things should stabilize as it passes, i haven't checked the current forecasts but i would bet they will be fairly accurate for this evening/tonight.

AA.

Very true. i'm at work at the moment (air traffic controller at pearson) and the system is tracking through as i write this. it really doesn't take much of a deviation of the system for you to get a completely different wind direction in a specific area. Also as ccmt says above, as it moves the winds will shift significantly. things should stabilize as it passes, i haven't checked the current forecasts but i would bet they will be fairly accurate for this evening/tonight.

AA.

Uhh..you are looking at the wrong monitor AA!! Watch the planes!! :P