Lake St John near Orillia

fisher

We are looking at renting a cottage on Lake St John for mid-July and was wondering what the fishing is like and any tips on any of the species we can expect?

I read there is an airport there - is it noisy on the lake because of it?

Thanks for any info.

Edited by fisher

The fishing on St.John has always been good for Walleye, Bass, and Pike. In a traditional year, it can get weed choked though. The biggest deterrent I have to this lake is the pollution from the soap factory located on it! I don't think I would want to eat anything from there. I don't recall the noise from the float plane airport being a problem.

Nice little lake close to TO. Fished it a couple times, had some good success for pike & bass.

I don't remember any problem with noise and I don't remember noticing anything about the pollution except for really heavy weedgrowth and some algae near the plant.

Mike

The fishing on St.John has always been good for Walleye, Bass, and Pike. In a traditional year, it can get weed choked though. The biggest deterrent I have to this lake is the pollution from the soap factory located on it! I don't think I would want to eat anything from there. I don't recall the noise from the float plane airport being a problem.

I ice-fished this lake as well as summer fished it. Pike are plentiful...Walleye a little less. We went swimming in the lake way back when, and i have not yet grown a 3rd testicle :lol::lol::lol:

But I remember a few years ago, there was thousands of fish that died in that lake.....All floating belly up on the surface....don't remember what the cause of this way, as they were investigating it and I never followed up on it, or don't remember doing so. What does the guide to eating Ontario sportfish say about it?

This lake is also over-fished.....I would much rather pick a different lake....but that's just my opinion.

If you have a place booked and its nice and affordable for u and your family, then go for it. It's not that bad nor is it badly polluted. I am sure there are some ecological laws that prevent the soap factory from dumping soap into the lake.

Call the local MNR office in Rama, Ontario and see what they say.

Good Luck and hope it works out for you.

Tight lines

Peace