To split grip or not to split grip

vertigo

I'm interested in picking up some split grip rods. My friend just got back from fishing Wheeler at the FLW and he told me that baitcasting with split grips are a pain, so now I'm wondering if I should just get them for spinning finness.

Anyone have an opinion on split grip baitcasters?

Thanks

I get requests for split grips. If that's what they want, that's what the get.

Personally...I can't see the reason. Some say it's to reduce weight. In reality, that amout of weight is miniscule. In a long rear grip baitcaster, I can see where the extra 'edges' could be a pain in the butt. Catching on stuff & clothing ..

On a spinner, I personally like a 'tip light' rod, so the tiny extra weight behind the reel helps to balance the rod to my liking.

The only advantage I see to a split grip is it's another place for a decorative thread wrap or decals to personalize the rod to the customer.

I think you should borrow a split grip rod from your buddy & fish it a couple hours....then make your own decision.

Vertigo, I think the split grip is more of a styling cue that either you can hate or love. Split grip does happen to be the more "enthusiast" look and is a newer styling cue that is found in a lot of japanese rods now.

The weight reduction I find would be minimal, and you could probably get more weight reduction through a nicer blank more than anything.

Thread & finish don't add much weight to a 7' bass rod.

A 5' ultralite...yes, shorter guide wraps, permagloss finish rather than gobbed on flexcoat, and setting the rod up with one less guide are a few ways to 'tweak' ( lighten) ( balance) the rod.

A little extra thread / finish behind the reel seat is hard to tell the difference.