XRap Line Choice

MSBruno

i think you'll find that braid is best for jerkbaits of all kinds. you get the best feel for what's happening down there and can snap the baits around

if you are fishing in a place with toothy critters, especially when using small jerkbaits like the xrap/husky jerk as the fish tend to swallow them, use a fluoro (45lb+) leader. join the fluoro to braid using a uni-to-uni knot

uni2uni.jpg

snapend.jpg

Edited by Raf

I prefer braid for almost all of my fishing techniques.....you can feel everything and especially if you are ripping jerks in or near weeds you'll find the braid will cut through the weeds like butter....

but a lot of pros prefer mono as a bit of stretch helps the crank get a bit more action and helps to prevent from pulling trebles out of a bass's mouth....personal choice really

why won't fluoro work? if you're concerned about fluoro sinking and affecting the action of your xrap....I'd say that's a bit of overkill thinking IMO.....

For Northern Pike I use 50 pound braided line on my baitcast setup, and a 45 pound home-made fluorocarbon leader.. I enjoy the strength and durability of the braid, and I appreciate the invisibility of the fluorocarbon leader. You just have to learn how to snap the jerkbait properly so that you get the best action with the braided line, and learn how to jerk on just enough slack line. I find with this setup the jerkbait stays properly suspended (as long as your leader isnt too heavy), and you know that if you lay into a big Pike, you won't have any breakoffs..