Fishing Sask Report

holdfast

Thursday just seemed to Drag by and I figured I deserved a Break. This will be the first time that Ill earn payed holidays since March 2006, my last year in the Regular Army. So off I went to see my boss to pull a Fastball and ask her for the next day off. Success, now I have to go back home, pack, get the truck and oil changed and make the 2.5 hour journey north. My plan was to camp this weekend so this works out fine as I can get a good head start for a camp spot on Hackett Lake.

Next Day I woke up early and had everything packed including the Firewood. I figured since it was still early, maybe I could get the boat trailer welded. I actually even rewired the trailer Lights that morning. The welder said he can do it before noon and it would only cost $50. Oh well, I can maybe get some concurrent activity going so I spent the time Mowing the Grass.

P5310036.jpg

Well, finally it was finished at 1 PM, and was advised to check my Bearings. I did them myself last August so I figured maybe it just needs greasing. No way, both bearing were gone. I figured let the mechanics do it this time maybe they will last longer. When that job was finished it was 4.30 Pm and $119. If I was working that day I would be half way to Big River. So off I went to Hacket lake with a hub that was siliconed on. At a check stop I noticed the hub cap was gone.

Question. One cap fits one side but not the other leaving me to believe a hub is worn enough that I need a cap a hairline bigger in Diameter. Is it possible to get one? or do I have to silicone one on again? If so, whats the best silicone, as the mechanics had failed?

P5310037.jpg

Anyways I got Hacket lake around six o'clock, and the first thing I needed to do was get a camp spot. I'm really not used to camping with neighbors and out houses, but it was the fishing that brought me here anyhow.

Bam! Camp is set up within minutes with firewood.

P5300029.jpg

Off to the boat launch to pay my 15 dollar fee and unhook the Boat. I was delayed an hour when a fisherman that came in required my assistance to take a picture with a 19lb Jack with him and his son who is disabled. Wow I was encouraged knowing there is still big fish in those waters. Here's a pic of the father holding it up. Found out that the son who incidentally caught the fish was paralyzed due to a hockey elbow to the head, only to be paralyzed a week later after the fact.

P5290001.jpg

Unfortunately, after trying to revive him, the fish was just too beat to live. Seems these guys forgot the camera and they had him in the live well too long I suspect. I'm not saying anything on this one as I would of done the same thing in the same circumstance to be truthful. Hopefully they at least ate him.

Well off to some late fishing and spectacular scenery. You can see how a freak Micro Burst broke and uprooted the trees.

P5290013.jpg

P5290014.jpg

P5290015.jpg

P5290023.jpg

I would troll and try some Bait fishing.

P5290011.jpg

Got my first Walleye of the season Trolling

P5290007.jpg

P5290008.jpg

Good ole Spike has taken to fishing just wonderfully. He got a good lesson though when he fell in the drink getting too close to the Boat edge

P5290010.jpg

P5290024.jpg

P5290025.jpg

P5290026.jpg

As usual on this lake I caught lots of small pike to keep me going.

P5290012.jpg

P5290017.jpg

Why are these pictures so dark

P5290018.jpg

P5300034.jpg

I even caught the small ones on good sized frozen smelt

P5290022.jpg

P5290027.jpg

P5300031.jpg

P5300033.jpg

P5290011.jpg

Next week I might do a canoe trip into that unnamed lake that I snowshoed in during the winter

Is that the same lake we fished? If so, I want another crack at it! Great weekend out, eh?

Yup Al, same Lake, better get here soon, seems fishing gets worse as the crowds come in. Now there is 3 limit on Walleye vice 5 on most other Lakes. Tells ya something about the fishing pressure.

Great report and pics Holdie!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

The next time you need new trailer bearings just buy the new pre assembled hubs kits, it's not much more and your hub caps will fit nicely!

I gave $62 x 2 for 2 new hub assemblies last year and they we a snap to do!!!

That Spike is a mess I tell you!!! ( a Redneck compliment), what is he?... a Jack Russel and ??? mix?

Did some of those fish snag themselves?... or is it just the camera angle?... I don't know what the regs are in Sask, but here in 'Bama a legally caught fish is defined as "hooked anywhere in the head"... i'm not trying to start any trouble, but I know Pike are notorius for "T-boning" a lure and sometimes are hooked outside of the mouth.

Edited by GCD

Great report and pics Holdie!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

The next time you need new trailer bearings just buy the new pre assembled hubs kits, it's not much more and your hub caps will fit nicely!

I gave $62 x 2 for 2 new hub assemblies last year and they we a snap to do!!!

That Spike is a mess I tell you!!! ( a Redneck compliment), what is he?... a Jack Russel and ??? mix?

Did some of those fish snag themselves?... or is it just the camera angle?... I don't know what the regs are in Sask, but here in 'Bama a legally caught fish is defined as "hooked anywhere in the head"... i'm not trying to start any trouble, but I know Pike are notorius for "T-boning" a lure and sometimes are hooked outside of the mouth.

The Fish are not Snagged and yes Dawg Pike are notorious for T- Boning, getting caught in the mouth by one hook and the others snagging the rest of the pike. These were caught or snagged ( if you like by accident) while trolling. Yes , its the camera angles. The dog is indeed a Jack Russel with what I heard beagle mix possibly. Definitely The temperament and energy of a Jack Russel. My new outdoor activity now is roller Skating with the dog on a retractable leash. He loves to run and has unbelievably muscular back legs for a small dog.