Split Bamboo Fly Rod??

Friend gave me an old Split Bamboo fly rod. Don't know much about them. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to who could've made it/when and any other info etc. I don't want to take it out on the lake if is something of value, but sure does seem to have a smooth action to it!

Thanks,

FT

Can you show some PICS?

Can you also give the name, specs - like length, number of pieces, number of tips, weight of line to be used, any markings on the rod and where made? And anyhing else you can give.

But do not think about selling it right now if your rod is worth something. Nothing much is being sold on Ebay right now. And if there is a bid, the bid is very low. You will have to wait until the world economy gets better.

carp-starter

Friend gave me an old Split Bamboo fly rod. Don't know much about them. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to who could've made it/when and any other info etc. I don't want to take it out on the lake if is something of value, but sure does seem to have a smooth action to it!

Thanks,

FT

During the 60's and 70's there were LOTS of cheap poorly made rods on the market. You can still pick these up at auctions for 50.00 or less. It would help if we had a photo or two and a makers mark if it is still readable.

Made a few bamboo rods myself with my son when he was younger before girls . First you get some split bamboo pieces (I made an eight sided blank) you have to cut your taper and the angles so they will fit together in a stop sign sort of shape . You than glue them together sand and than mount the eyes and reel seats . I think the fist two or three were not so good (hard to get the eight pieces together and figureing out all the angles , plus was just guesseing on tapers ,we tried to copie a glass blank we had at first ) but I think the last two casting rods we made are pretty good , but I dont fish with them as I would cry if they were to brake. So some made by a builder who was a craftsman will be worth alot , one made by someone like me , except to me , are not worth much but if I paid myself by the hour even at minimum wage, lets just say ????

Made a few bamboo rods myself with my son when he was younger before girls . First you get some split bamboo pieces (I made an eight sided blank) you have to cut your taper and the angles so they will fit together in a stop sign sort of shape . You than glue them together sand and than mount the eyes and reel seats . I think the fist two or three were not so good (hard to get the eight pieces together and figureing out all the angles , plus was just guesseing on tapers ,we tried to copie a glass blank we had at first ) but I think the last two casting rods we made are pretty good , but I dont fish with them as I would cry if they were to brake. So some made by a builder who was a craftsman will be worth alot , one made by someone like me , except to me , are not worth much but if I paid myself by the hour even at minimum wage, lets just say ????

Not looking to sell it nor make money off it. I always appreciate the gift as well as the thought behind it!

Just don't know much about them....usually fish for Muskies etc. So my poles are little more stiff than this fly rod.

Anyone know where the markings would/should be?

I will try to get some photos uploaded as soon as time permits

Thank you

FT

Any Markings should be just above the grip. I did some searching on the same subject after I found two bamboo rods at a garage sale and I came across a site that was a great resource. I'll try and find the address again and post a link for you.

I asked the friend who gave me the rod about it and he says he thinks it was made by "Hawk Henshaw" from London, Ont.( but was a long time ago). I tried to google it but came up empty!

There are no markings that I can see....maybe it's a homemade one??

Is there some special treatment for them so they don't dry out or are they fine as is!??

Like I said, I am waaaay out of my league on something this thin. Maybe I will try flyfishing now!!

Yup Muskies on the fly!!! Now THAT would be a scream! :thumbsup_anim:

FT

The first year we moved up here I found a great looking bamboo fly rod leaning against the fence down by our boat launch...I brought it home as the weekend was fast approaching and the area would be crawling with kids out of school and was afraid what shape it may have ended up in...

Next day I mentioned it to the owner of the local hardware store and he said "wait a minute" and made a phone call...yep...he and his friend Tom were out after crappies the day before and Tom's best fly rod was missing...Tom dropped by my house a bit later and he was so happy to get it back that I thought he was going to kiss me ! (not that there is anything wrong with that...Seinfeld)... :whistling: