boat question -

rob v

When I put the boat in the water this spring my live well pump wouldn't come on at all. After fiddling with it a bit ( a couple of taps here and there) the pump activated ( I can hear the motor running) but it pumps very little water. These pumps don't look too complicated - but is there a seal on these things that needs to be replaced from time to time or should I just replace the pump completely ?

Anyone have any experience with these things ? thx.

I'm suspecting a weak impellor on the water pump, just like for the outboard.

Yeah, or you sucked up some debris into the impeller... you can take the 3 or 4 screws off the top and inspect the impeller for trash.

They aren't very expensive, about $30 I think.. and not that hard to replace, they should sell them at Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire up there.

No trash in the impeller - it seems to be turning okay - but it doesn't seem to pump very well.

Probably easier to replace it them fiddle with it very much I suppose. I know I can find bildge pumps at ctc and wall mart but I can't remember seeing livewell pumps.

I've replaced a couple on my boat ( I use them a lot) and always found them at Wa-Mart, they should be right next to the bilge pumps and look very similar.

The hardest thing about replacing one on my boat is getting to the darned thing! Trying to get both hands and arms in an 8" diameter hatch hole!!! :rolleyes:

My guess is if the impeller turns no problem, there isn't anything wrong with the pump...more likely a blockage in the intake or discharge hoses.

I had problems with mine a couple years ago in the spring. I attached my garden hose to the intake at the back of the boat and flushed the system through...never had a problem since.

I would also check for debris...... mine has been running for 24 years now. Two years ago it started to get really loud and then that went away and it's running great ever since. I don't know how many time I forgot to turn off the bilge pump or live well pump and drove home for 2 hours only to hear one of them running in the garage. I don't know who made the ones I have but I would buy the same in a heart beat.....:)

Yesterday I took the old unit out and tried to figure out the problem. It seemed to run okay but then it started to cough and sputter - so I said the heck with it and went shopping. The only one I found was at Canadian tire - 800 GPH made by seasense. So I've installed it- but while doing that I noticed that my bilge pump wasn't properly seated in it's bracket - so while trying to get it re-seated it busted off of the hose it was clamped to. So another trip to CT to get a replacement. I also knew I was going to need some new plumbing - some 3/4 inch re-inforced plastic tubing to replace the parts connecting the livewell pump. the only store I found that carried it was at home depot and they'd only sell me a 10 foot length - of course all I needed was about 8 inches. Bottom line I've got everything installed and hopefully working in good order when I next get it in the water. It looked like everything was original and needed uprading anyways. Gave me something to do during the 1st day of my vacation. Now the rest of the week's weather looks like crap - oh bother.