Pickeral River

joonmoon

Okay to make it short...My buddy and I and his Bud are heading to Pickeral River, just off of #69/400 sometime this August for a few days. Planning on camping somewhere in the bush. Takin our 15' boat and doin a few days with the boyz fishin. My buddy has been there before and knows some of the area enuff to get by. I need to know what the area looks like...current,rapids,rocks,depths...and any other assorted water hazards you might encounter while on the river. Any help would be appreciated, can't find any maps or charts of the area that are decent enuff I could use as navigational tools. I don't have a GPS on the boat so maps and charts and visuals is all I will have. Thanks. B)

If you are fishing west of Hwy 69 you are clear sailing all the way down to Wahnapitei Bay. If so, give me your email address and I can give you some more details. I have not been there for 20 years but do have some good stuff to share!

I used to launch there and fish my way down to the Bad River. Have camped and fished closer to hwy 69, but imo the better fishing is from Ox bay down..

Regardless I can give you some specific details on campsites and fishing spots but will have to locate my maps first.

You're going in August so there's lots of time.

Cheers

Went up there last year late june for a friends bachelor party, fishing was pretty good for walleye and pike. Planning on going back up this year in a few weeks, pretty nice boat in camp sites east of 69. I didn't have any maps or anything last year but was able to locate fish on some under water points on the fish finder. There are lots of unmarked navigational hazards so watch out.

Edited by 12footspringbok

The water level is the highest I have seen it in over several years for this time of year. It covered the lower parking pad of Hartley bay and is about 10 feet higher than normal. The Jamsion rapids are not runnable now and people who have cottages down there are parking their boats, walking the rapids and then using another parked boat to go to there cottages.

The current was so strong down at the elbow, it was difficult keeping bait on the bottom with 2 oz sinkers.

The weeds are not growing well due the high water levels and so its a different ball game this year.

We had success in Crombie Bay and Beef Tea creek. Piked up some nice pike in Crombie. Also, the eagle's nest is accessible, (stay to the right on the entrance to avoid the rocks that are now just under water and are in the middle and right.

Be very carefull as some islands which are normally above water are now just below the water by a foot or so.

No luck on the walleye yet but some guys had success trolling for them in Ox Bay.

Good Luck,

Bill

I have another suggestion for you. Why don't you launch at the Key River and go out into GBay? My buddies and I did that on year 2 after going to the Pickeral the first year. We camped on Dokis Island which is only a few miles west of where the river drains into GBay. I think that the total distance was around 13 miles. The fishing is better and the scenary is unbelievable. You won't find anyone camping out there.

We camped on Dokis Island which is only a few miles west of where the river drains into GBay. I think that the total distance was around 13 miles. The fishing is better and the scenary is unbelievable. You won't find anyone camping out there.

Is Dokis Is. part of French R. PP now or no, I can't quite figure that one out?

If it's not I'm going to second that one. Keep a compass & topo and lots of gas handy, it is a maze with tons of sunken rocks but it would definitely be a good trip. Bringing a spare prop might not be a bad idea too.

where abouts are u going on the river are u fishing up from 69 or down i have a trailer up there east of 69 0ff the 522 its by the river and there is a place there called kidds landing that alot of guys camp at or right at the rappids there is big walleye, pike and muskey ,small mouth and large mouth bass in the river and big cats too it is a good river when ate you going ill probly be up there alot this year again fishing there is also squaw lake up river farther it has lots of bays and the river system lots of muskey and pike up there what u planning on fishing for or is it what ever hits trip i like them lol