Pike!

pike slayer

i was out pike ad speck fishing all weekend and it was really windy and we had a blizzard on saturday. We stuck to sheltered bays where it was calm. i go into this one bay and the water is really clear. i cast out my crankbait and i work it in and as soon as i lift the lure out of the water a pike jumps at it then takes off. I was mad that i missed that fish and i was like that fish is gonna haunt me now, as if i missed it. my buddy was just laughing at me and i was like im gonna catch that fish! So i cast out in the direction i seen the pike swam off to and i start to work it in and i see the pike following my lure and i get it right up to the boat and im at the end of my line and i just got my 18" steel leader with the lure and i put the rod 2-3feet in the water and i start doing the figure 8. that pike just went nuts and on the 3rd figure 8 he grabbed it and completely swallowed my crankbait. it was a decent eater at around 5lbs. i really wish i had got a video of that catch. that was the second time and the second pike to fall victim to the figure 8. has anyone else has success with the figure 8 with pike? and for those that get a pike follower try it out!! :)

I had a friend in the boat once and was explaining the importance of a figure eight at the end of EVERY retrieve... because you often dont see the follow ... anyhow .. as I am demonstrating the figure eight ... in open water ... I get SMASHED by a 10+lber .... (pike) ... it went ballistic ..airborne .. and from then on my buddy does the figure eight ... always :)

great story! I have never tried that with a pike but good to hear it works. To be honest, most times (other than Saturday afternoon at Lakair :D :D ) I try to pull the lure away from the little buggers if I can! I have had them jump clear out of the water and grab my lure from mid air though, kind of like a flying figure 8 you might say.

that is the second time i got a pike kinda like that, last year i did just circles and got him, this was a full out figure 8 all musky style ad i was shocked that the pike swallowed my hole crank and i had to take it out their the gills and hes going on the dinner plate. i found the pike are slow cause the water is still to cold for them to get active so i find i get lots of follows but no commiters so thats a good way to make them aggressive. good luck out there!