First fish of the year!

Radnine

It was a gorgeous morning and I was looking for something to do. My choices were to get the boat out or go to the Bluejays game. As I was inspired by John F's report about Dunneville fishing, and looking not to spend a whack of cash, Will and I hit Port Maitland and headed up the Grand.

We set out to jig for walleye but 10 minutes in, this throwback to the stone ages hits. I was using my new med-lite/fast Walleye rig so it was more of a coaxing from the bottom than a fight. When I finally did get him to come to the surface I could not lift the net with one hand.

I did not get a picture with me and it as I am basically scared to death of these things (I told Will they were poisonous so he wouldn't think me a wimp for not touching it, good one eh?) I also didn't get the tape on him 'cause I am super paranoid about not handling fish I'm not going to keep (where'd that come from? <_< )

At any rate, got the hook out toot sweet and dumped him back in, none the worse for wear (near as I could tell).

Thanks John, for the inspiration. And sorry to Bernie and the rest of team 8, I haven't made my sign up yet (I never usually catch anything in the Grand, honest)

Jim

BloodybigCatfish.jpg

That's just a baby cat LOL

The safest way of handling those is to grab it by the belly near the head, that way you avoid getting a stinger in your hand ;)

Great report Jim and thanks for sharing

Leechman