Headwater speck fishing

Joeytier

I couldn't believe how startlingly similar MJL's day fishing brookies was to mine. Having never caught brookies before, I tried hitting the headwater of one of my favourite steelhead tributaries rigged with a #12 hook and two split shot, and another rod rigged with a spinner.

After fishing directly below the bridge and landing a monster chub, I headed upstream to a nice log jam above a beaver dam. I placed a chunk of worm on the hook, placed it in as close to to the logs as I could get, and witnessed my first ever brook trout come out to take it. Not a monster by any means, but I was amazed at how pretty these fish really are. The internet does them no justice.

IMG_0190.jpg

I ventured my way further and further upstream with only small chubs until finally my buddy pops a nice brookie. Just as he is releasing it, I watch a brookie from the same pool rifle out and cream my worm. My fish ended up being the biggest of the trip

IMG_0191.jpg

10" maybe?

IMG_0192.jpg

As we were walking back to the car planning to relocate north, we get visited by a security guard telling us that this stretch of the creek is government owned, and that we were essentially trespassing by fishing. There was no signs posted, and it's not in the regs, so how are we supposed to know? At least he was nice about it.

We ventured further downstream out of the 'sanctuary' <_< to a spot that gets fished heavily for steelhead. We were fairly certain there wasn't going to be any brookies, but we did manage 3 nice resident rainbows to cap off a fun day fishing.

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

All fish were caught on a simple, hook, sinker, and worm rig.

Good stuff Joey, thats gotta be fun, darn!....looks like summer there...i've almost forgotten what summer feels like....lol.

Thanks for posting.

It was quite a contrast being up in Temagami over the weekend where the trees are barely even budding, whereas down in Southern Ontario the ravines are already overgrown jungles.

Good going on the catches!

It ain't steelheading but it's easy going for lazy guys like me. :Gonefishing:

I think i know where you were at and have run into a few different security guys driving around.

If the goverment owns the land it is crown land and open to the public, one Federal security guy told me there.

Here is a link to my report on this.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...c=23807&hl=