Am I doing this right?

Bark

Hey fellas, bear with me I just discovered this wonderful hobby very recently

I just recently began this hobby. I just got my license for the season and will be going for carp and catfish in the Caledonia/Grand River/ Dunville area.

Anyways I'm wondering if I'm doing this right

My setup:

-A 6'6 telescopic rod. Basic spinning reel from walmart (and line which came with the reel)

-2 Split shots and a small hook on a single line

-Float set about 4 ft from hook

My strategy:

-Still fishing in slow-moving water during the evening.

-Wait for float to move and pull.

I haven't had any luck. Please critique.

All help/advice much appreciated!

Best,

Deron

I have not done alot of carp fishing but I have had success using what they call a hair rig and corn. There's a lot of guys who are way more knowledgable than me on this board/topic and I'm sure they will chime in. Welcome to the board. I'll see if I can find a link to tying a hair rig.

You can either buy a bait needle or bend a hook to make one. Bait the hair rig with the corn. Heres a link to the hair rig.

http://www.pleasurefishing.com/html/hairrigs.htm

Alot of guys chum the water with various groundbait mixes. Maybe someone will share their secret or not so secret recipe with us. I wouldn't mind knowing a good one or two myself.

PS. I should mention I know nothing about catching catfish really, I was talking about Carp techniques.

Edited by Weeds

Fish that you are chasing are bottom feeders so first thing you need to do is lose that bobber.

Second i would change that line that came with the reel with something a bit better.

If you are chasing carp try using corn and try researching hair rigs and how to tie them up.

if you are chasing catfish, use worms or shrimp or chicken liver or sucker meat.

good luck to you

Edited by Marko

Fish that you are chasing are bottom feeders so first thing you need to do is lost that bobber.

Second i would change that line that came with the reel with something a bit better.

If you are chasing carp try using corn and try researching hair rigs and how to tie them up.

if you are chasing catfish, use worms or shrimp or chicken liver or sucker meat.

good luck to you

bingo!!!....and the next thing u will say is fish on

Hey fellas, bear with me I just discovered this wonderful hobby very recently

I just recently began this hobby. I just got my license for the season and will be going for carp and catfish in the Caledonia/Grand River/ Dunville area.

Anyways I'm wondering if I'm doing this right

My setup:

-A 6'6 telescopic rod. Basic spinning reel from walmart (and line which came with the reel)

-2 Split shots and a small hook on a single line

-Float set about 4 ft from hook

My strategy:

-Still fishing in slow-moving water during the evening.

-Wait for float to move and pull.

I haven't had any luck. Please critique.

All help/advice much appreciated!

Best,

Deron

Is this someone just messing around or is this legit?

If this is legit and you are serious about catching big fish like carp and catfish you might want to invest a little $$ in a rod a reel that can handle these fish. If you can't afford a new rod/reel then work with what you have got. I would buy some swivels and some bigger circle hooks. Get some bigger weights (perhaps egg sinkers) and rig them ahead of your swivel. Run a 2 ft leader to your hook and use a chunk of cutbait as an enticer. This should help you cast further and setting the hook with a circle hook is much easier. This should work for catish. Your float and split shot does have potential but you don't say what bait you are using. 2 spilt shot and flat night not get you out where you want to be. You might find some better results by keeping your bait on bottom or very near to bottom.

Did someone say carp?

The guys have set you on the right course. Canned corn will catch both carp and catfish. The hair rig greatly increases the chance of hooking the carp when it sucks up your bait. You should also consider baiting the area you wish to fish. Cracked corn which you can buy at a feed store or a store that sells wild bird seed works well. Fill a bucket half way with the cracked corn. Pour boiling water into the bucket until it's a couple inches over the corn. Cover and leave it till the next day. Use a large serving spoon to throw it into the spot you wish to fish. Don't scatttter it everywhere. Try to get into as small an area as possible. Cast your baited hook into this area.

Edited by hammercarp