Question on C&R

DrPhil

Years ago on Lake Beauchene near Temiscaming we found Lakers stacked between 100 and 120 feet. With the downriggers there was no problem putting the bait right on them. After about 20 to 25 fish we asked ourselves if bringing a fish up from that depth would do them harm. We didn't know the answer so we stopped and went for smallies. We asked the operator about it when we got back and he said there would be no harm to the fish. I'm not so sure about that? I'm sure somebody on this board can answer that question.

Good Topic Doc!

I tried to find something about your question and found a whold bunch of info. Here's a good article on the stress of bass tourney's with the fish. http://www.echeat.com/essay.php?t=31605

"Depth – When fishing depths of over thirty feet, the fish should be brought up slowly to the boat. This allows the fish to decompress (adjust to the change of water pressure). Pause while reeling the fish in and allow the air bubbles from the fishes decompression tom rise to the surface. Fish can get the “bends” almost like people. If a fish is reeled in too quickly it will die. "

Then I find this one about the effects on walleye http://www.sdgfp.info/Wildlife/Fishing/Info/Catchrelease.htm

"Contrary to popular belief, slowly reeling in a fish from deep water DOES NOT give a fish enough time to compensate for the change in pressure. Between 20 and 30 minutes may be needed for a fish to compensate for pressure differences between a depth of 30 ft and the surface. Instead, prolonging the time it takes to land and release a fish, increases its stress level. The tissues around the gas bladder are often capable of preventing the gas bladder from increasing in size for up to 5 minutes after the pressure outside of the fish decreases. Once a fish is in the boat, release it as quickly as possible to maximize its chance of surviving." :huh:

Then I find this one http://www.catchandreleasefound.org/release.html

They also say to bring it up slowly and they even give you a link on how to deflate fish brought up from the deep http://www.catchandreleasefound.org/deflate.htm

"Use a deflating tool (an atheletic ball inflation needle ground to a sharp point or a carpet needle).

Insert it through the thin part of the body wall on the underside of the belly below the pectoral fin.

Squeeze the fish gently to force the gases out through the tube or needle.

Do this quickly and very soon after capture

Release the fish holding him in the water until he can swim away. "

It's a good article on what exactly happens to the fish when it's brought up from that deep but " an atheletic ball inflation needle ground to a sharp point"??? I guess if your knee fills with water you can preform that operation on your way out to the deep drop offs.

So anyways, in answer to your question about the effects of C&R with lakers I just went to our own trusty MNR.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/fishing/catrel.html

"Releasing fish caught from deep water (more than 10 metres or 30 feet) can present special problems. Cold water species such as lake trout can rapidly equalize changes in water pressure. They can usually be released successfully regardless of the depth they came from, summer or winter. Warmwater species don't have this pressure-equalizing ability. Fish such as pike and walleye therefore should be brought to the surface slowly (to allow them to adjust to the change in pressure) and then be released immediately, if possible. Fish caught from deep water can be released by allowing them to slip out of your wetted hands head first into the water, while you are in a standing position. This not only heads the fish in the right direction, but also sends a blast of oxygen through its gills."

Hope I don't get sued for all these quotes :blush:

FHR

I have heard that Salmon don`t seem to have any trouble, don`t know about trout, all the ones I have caught have been fairly shallow, less than 20 feet. Bass don`t handle the pressure change welll though, the practice is to fizz them, insert a needle in their air bladder to release pressure from ones caught deep.

My buddy told me about an article he read on deep northern pike caught like 50 feet deep, they were badly affected by it too.

I usually work the top 25 feet, unless I get desparate. LOL

"Releasing fish caught from deep water (more than 10 metres or 30 feet) can present special problems. Cold water species such as lake trout can rapidly equalize changes in water pressure. They can usually be released successfully regardless of the depth they came from, summer or winter. Warmwater species don't have this pressure-equalizing ability. Fish such as pike and walleye therefore should be brought to the surface slowly (to allow them to adjust to the change in pressure) and then be released immediately, if possible. Fish caught from deep water can be released by allowing them to slip out of your wetted hands head first into the water, while you are in a standing position. This not only heads the fish in the right direction, but also sends a blast of oxygen through its gills."

Hope I don't get sued for all these quotes :blush:

FHR

this is true i have herd and seen guys ice fishing for lakers and u can see the air bubbles after they 'burp' the gas from the air blader.

I was out on lake wahnapitae years back and was fishing with minnows. When moving locations I passed over a spot that was 465 feet deep. I placed my minnow in the water and let the line go to the bottom, then after a few minutes I brought him back up. When I got him back to the surface, he was still lively and healthy looking. The depth didn't seem to make any difference. I didn't expect him to survive with all the things I've heard, but he did and even caught me a fish later.

"Contrary to popular belief, slowly reeling in a fish from deep water DOES NOT give a fish enough time to compensate for the change in pressure. Between 20 and 30 minutes may be needed for a fish to compensate for pressure differences between a depth of 30 ft and the surface. Instead, prolonging the time it takes to land and release a fish, increases its stress level. The tissues around the gas bladder are often capable of preventing the gas bladder from increasing in size for up to 5 minutes after the pressure outside of the fish decreases. Once a fish is in the boat, release it as quickly as possible to maximize its chance of surviving." :huh:

Great find. The myth that bringing fish up slowly will save them is just that, a myth. Your best bet is to bring it up normally then release it quickly while it still has the strength to swim back down to where it was before.

Some fish, like Lake Trout, can 'burp' the air out so this isn't an issue. Bass and walleye unfortunatley don't have this evolutationary gift and can die from being caught out of deep water. Some people 'fizz' bass using a large needle to release the air. I think the jury is still out on that technique though but I could be wrong.

At the lodge I work for we don't target walleye deeper then 35' as we have observed fish that 'blow up' from deeper then that. Even though we know a lot of the bigger eye's hang out deeper then 35' it's an ethical thing and we don't even put our guests over deep water to target the walleye there.