Sturgeon lake

joey365247

Hey guys and gals.. long time reader and first time poster.. thanks for all the insight given on here..

I recently purchased a Trailer on the west side of Sturgeon Lake.. near Cameron.. and wondering if anyone has experience fishing this lake? I never have but hear its good for Walleye, Muskie< bass and panfish.. anyone know a general area I could start looking at? and what types of bait work best?? any info would help guys.. Thanks in advance...

Ive only fished out of the long beach area. Ive rented a cottage from there in the past and am doing so again for the weekend of bass opener. When we were there last I used white spinnerbaits with half-decent luck for bass. Didnt do much else other than that.

ryan

Welcome to the board and the area.

I live on the East side of Sturgeon Lake Just a little North of where you are. Out in front of you is an area called Goose Bay. Do you have a boat?

Fishing in Sturgeon lake is like any other lake that has fish in it; if you know where to go and what to use, you can/will catch fish. A few years ago, I'd have openly posted on here where to go and what to use, what was working where and when, things have changed over the last few years, there are so many lurkers and this site is so popular that an open post today could cause a dozen boats on the spot tomorrow. If you have a boat and know how to get out to the chanel that leads between Lindsay and the lake I'd be happy to sit down with you and share some information on what and where. I won't give you all my spots but enough to get you started. If you don't have a boat and want to take a drive over, I can share some shore spots with you but I am running out of them.

Just so you know, I landed 4 walleye and lost 2 in about 1/2 an hour last night (from shore!) I'd say there is some excellent fishing in this lake!

Edited by Big Cliff

Welcome to the board Joey. You picked a great place to buy a trailer. Just find weed edges and you'll find fish. Discovering your own spots and presentations that work will be the most rewarding. Looking forward to your reports and take lots of pics, we like pics :D .

Cliff one of those shore spots you told me about is gone, the one by your house - its under new management and the new owners will not allow fishing on the property.

I live on the East side of Sturgeon Lake Just a little North of where you are. Out in front of you is an area called Goose Bay. Do you have a boat?

Fishing in Sturgeon lake is like any other lake that has fish in it; if you know where to go and what to use, you can/will catch fish. A few years ago, I'd have openly posted on here where to go and what to use, what was working where and when, things have changed over the last few years, there are so many lurkers and this site is so popular that an open post today could cause a dozen boats on the spot tomorrow. If you have a boat and know how to get out to the chanel that leads between Lindsay and the lake I'd be happy to sit down with you and share some information on what and where. I won't give you all my spots but enough to get you started. If you don't have a boat and want to take a drive over, I can share some shore spots with you but I am running out of them.

Just so you know, I landed 4 walleye and lost 2 in about 1/2 an hour last night (from shore!) I'd say there is some excellent fishing in this lake!

You're a good man Cliff.

Thank you so much for the quick responses... BIG CLIFF, I am located at long beach.. I will have my boat in the water next week so im not sure how far the ride is to you in goose bay.. im guessing not a long one? I would be more then greatful to meet up with you one day.. and by no means and im asking to give up your locations that you work so hard to get.. half the fun is finding your own little honey hole.. Just hoping to gain some knowledge and wisdom from people who have fished this lake before.. and im hoping to make some fishing friends for those weekends im up there alone.. Thanks again to all who posted a reply!!

Edited by joey365247

Cliff will set you in the right direction, he has been a valuable resource over the years. I live outside of Buffalo, NY and our fishing group has been very fortunate to enjoy the fishing on Sturgeon Lake. Cliff has been very gracious on keeping me informed on water conditions and possible hot spots and I think I may have thrown a spot or two his way. Unfortunately our run on Sturgeon came to an end last year as the Lodge we stayed at went out business. Does anyone know what ever to the property at Gil Mar Resort?

You have some great fishing right outside your door. We have done well trolling and casting for muskies along the Long beach area right in to Goose Bay. Caught a few eyes as well. Get a good topo map of the lake and look for structure, you will find fish ........

Tom

I live in Lindsay and fish Sturgeon fairly regularly, I launch at Kennedy Bay across the lake from Long Beach.

I was out Tuesday night for a little troll along Long Beach, up towards Fenelon. Found some fish and marked a lot more in 10-12 feet around new weed growth. All fish were caught on #7 shad raps, trolled slow using my electric.

Maybe we can meet up sometime, possibly Big Cliff as well; it’s been a few years since I’ve seen him.

As you come off of long beach stay to your right, there is a point (Ball Point) From Ball Point head straight across the lake you'll see a marina. Use to be called the Moorings but it has just changed hands so I'm not sure what name you'll see on it but it is the only one in that area. I am 4 doors to the right of that marina as you come across the lake. My boat house is grey with a maroon door (no Roy I still haven't painted it!) There is a green marker bouy out in front of our place CP27. No stumps or rocks to worry about, nice and safe right straight in to our dock from there. Dock should be in by this Sunday I hope.

Big Guy, I'd love to see you again any time, perhaps we need to have a mini G2G this year.