Spinnerbaits

nodie

Hey all,

Quick question. I've got a 6'8" Medium Heavy (extra fast) baitcasting rod paired up with a Shimano Curado 201E7. The rod itself is the Rapala Rtype Rod (super light by the way) and can't wait to try it out. I want to use it for my spinnerbait applications but still not sure on what to use line-wise. I was thinking of using 15lbs test power pro since spinnerbaits will be thrown around vegetation and wood but worried the tip will be too stiff and rip the spinnerbait out of the fish's mouth. Other option would be to use fluoro for the extra stretch.

Thanks in advance

Nodie

I would stay away from the braid and run Fluorocarbon or at least mono. The Extra Fast tip might be a bit much for blades but if that's what you are looking to use then go mono because it has a bit more stretch. My spinnerbait rod is a 7'2" - 7'6" Medium Heavy moderate fast to get the bait a long way away from the boat and pick up a lot of line when setting the hook.

For tighter confines and around vegetation your rod will do just fine.

JP

Guest steel'n'esox

I tend to use a 6ft med/hvy baitcaster with 17lb xt, the shorter rod for more accurate casts, also use a 6.6ft rod of the same action, both crucials just my preferance, for powercasts in clear water I would use longer still where accuracy isnt as critical

Personally, I throw spinnerbaits with a 7'6" St. Croix Premiere series rod, paired up with a Curado 200d. Great combo!

I tie into a number of muskies while throwing smaller baits, so personally I use 50lb. Power Pro and an 80lb leader. Just a personal preference, and the fish couldn't care less!

I use 50lb PP with a 4-6ft 15lb fluoro leader on a 7ft MH Fast rod for Bass.

Learn how much hookset is actually needed for the combo you use and no-strecth = no-problem.

I use a quick sweep to set and I will miss only 1 of 10 at worst.

RJ

I will be using 17lbs mono(Ed's suggestion, who am I to disagree) on my spinnerbait combo. This is my rod 6'9" 12 - 20lbs 1/2 - 3/4 Ex-Fast, Med-Heavy, I have the same reel as you, it is a fast retrieve but if you slow down the retrieve it will slow down the spinnerbait. :D:D:D

Hopefully I'll try it out tomorrow.

Edited by wallyboss