what pound test florocarbon

BUSTER

Personally, I wouldn't use 20lb flouro with 50lb braid, or flouro at all with 10lb mono. That doesn't mean I'm right.

I do use 8, 10 or 12lb flouro (18-30 inches long) when jigging for walleye with 15-20lb test braid. Sometimes I will use mono leader instead of flouro for this application. We are talking open water walleye fishing after all.

Flouro is more dense and not as elastic as mono so it sinks more quickly and doesn't "give" as much.

If I'm using 50-80lb braid for musky then my flouro leader would be of a similar or higher pound test, not lower.

2 cents worth? :dunno:

Personally, I wouldn't use 20lb flouro with 50lb braid, or flouro at all with 10lb mono. That doesn't mean I'm right.

I do use 8, 10 or 12lb flouro (18-30 inches long) when jigging for walleye with 15-20lb test braid. Sometimes I will use mono leader instead of flouro for this application. We are talking open water walleye fishing after all.

Flouro is more dense and not as elastic as mono so it sinks more quickly and doesn't "give" as much.

If I'm using 50-80lb braid for musky then my flouro leader would be of a similar or higher pound test, not lower.

2 cents worth? :dunno:

now thats what iam looking for ,,,thanks ;)

Once you learn the back to back uni knot, it would be in your best interest to tie a 2-3 ft flouro leader to everything (10 and 12 are good overall) not just for visibility purposes but also you never lose any main line on your spool from nicking or re-tying.

Its not necessarily a leader like a steel one that you would use for pike. For me I just have a spool of flouro that I take off however much I need, usually 18-24 inches. If I'm jigging for walleye I tie the flouro to a small swivel to join it to my main line and direct tie to the jig. You can also join the 2 lines directly to one an other if you are not worried about line twist.

Great site for knots:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

Some of the braids have a "how to" guide on their sites as well.

I don't "store" them, just dispose of the used flouro when it has served its purpose and replace.

You can get flouro leader material just about anywhere now a days.

Important note: flouro leader material is different than flouro that is meant to be used as a main line. I am not a fan of flouro main line for anything.

Serious musky or pike leaders are much different (I'll leave the details for someone who is better at it than me) but they can be stored in small plastic baggies or wrapped around an old line spool or similar item.

Wolfmachine, I'd check out JB's Fishing Depot, they've got just about everything you can think of when it comes to making your own leaders.

As for the original question, it all depends on what you are fishing for, if they are toothy, I'd stick to at least 50lb Seaguar fluro leader material and for musky, a minimum of 80lb.