Register boat

Hud

Hello everyone. I'm new to the board, well actually new to the area. I live just outside of Whitby and just bought a used LUND. I took care of all the fun trailer stuff but have been told I still need to register my boat with Service Canada. What do I need to show these folks so that I can get my boat wet? Thanks eveyone!!! Also not sure if there are any fishing clubs in the area of Whitby? I'm looking to meet some fellow anglers and maybe some new fishing buds.

Actually, you should get the previous owners ownership signed over to you (much like a car sale). The transfer of ownership is on the back of the ownership. Failing that, you may be required to get a notarized statement of loss of ownership (cost me $15 once).

Then you need the bill of sale to establish the price. Hopefully, you got separate bills for the boat and the motor. Registration involves only the boat, so if you present the BOS for just the boat, you will later get a bill from the Province of Ontario for the 8% sales tax on it (assuming you didn't pay it to a dealer (and even if you did, you may have to prove it later -- happened to me once). If the BOS also includes the motor, you will be required to pay the 8% on everything.

Service Canada takes care of boat registrations. Number is easy to remember 1-800 - O - Canada

RoyL

P.S. We have all assumed that your boat has more than 9.9hp. Registration is only required for boats with 10hp or more. 'course trailers always have to be licensed.

Also not sure if there are any fishing clubs in the area of Whitby? I'm looking to meet some fellow anglers and maybe some new fishing buds.

If you are interested in salmon fishing, there is a pen project where Chinook salmon are raised in Whitby Harbour every spring. I believe that this year's salmon were released last week. I am sure that they would be happy to have your help next year.