Trolling motor top speed?

scugpg

Just curious - what do you guys get for top speed with your bow mount? With no wind I get about 4.5km/h on GPS full tilt with a 40lb on 14' aluminum. To me that seems slow, but curious what the rest of you guys see when using it to move quick across the water at times. Let me know your speed and boat size.

Edited by scugog

Guest gbfisher

I've never called the front positioning motor a trolling motor myself but my 9.9 trolling motor pushes my boat at 6 mph.... :D

I'm going to try it with the outboard out of the water and see if its faster, but I'm surprised my 40lb doesn't push it faster as the boat is so light. Although the longer the boat the faster it would go in theory.

Trimming the outboard up makes your boat more susceptible to the back end wandering, I'd leave it trimmed down to act as a rudder/keel somewhat. I think the drag is fairly insignificant, you're not going to gain a bunch with the motor up. I've tried it myself and noticed very little difference other than the back end wandering making it a little more work to go in a straight line.

I'm not sure exactly what the top speed is, maybe 3-4 mph, but I have a 101 lb MinnKota Maxxum and a Champion 198 and I would guess it's not much (if any) better than what you are getting.

If you need to go faster than that, you're probably better off just cranking the big motor and idling over. Just remember to lift the troller if you're going to do anything much more than a fast idle. Yes, I am speaking from experience... twice. :)

Charles

I think I get about the same as you, Scugog, with a 41 ft/lbs bowmount trolling motor on a heavy 14' tin boat.

Sorry, I miss read your post, Scugog. I thought you posted mph. I get somewhere near 10 kph.

Edited by boatman