Minn Kota Auto Pilot question

So I was ready to buy another model from Cabelas but things did not work out there I am now looking at the 70 LBS Minn Kota® PowerDrive™ V2 Bow-Mount Trolling Motors with AutoPilot or the Power Drive with out Auto Pilot.

I was wondering if anyone here has used this system before if so what is you opinion on them I would use it for fishing LSC for pickerel following my lines I have done before and for musky along weed edges. Is it worth the $200 more?

Any help would be great thanks mike

Edited by MrEh

I have a 50lb Minn Kota V2 with auto pilot. It makes boat handling much easier in windy conditions or while soloing. It gives me time to do other things (ie. landing fish, changing lures, etc). I wouldn't get a troling motor without it.

I have a 50lb Minn Kota V2 with auto pilot. It makes boat handling much easier in windy conditions or while soloing. It gives me time to do other things (ie. landing fish, changing lures, etc). I wouldn't get a troling motor without it.

(ie. landing fish, changing lures, etc)

Now that is a reason I would also like it I had not thought of that thanks for the idea as I fish alone alot.

Personally I love the AutoPilot feature.

The 2 MinnKotas with it that I have owned, both had the AutoPilot feature fail in the first year and had to be fixed under warranty

Pain in the ass but when it works, it's great.

Peter

i was thinking the same thing , i have the powerdrive, and was also wondering how far does / will the controller reach ? lol can i stand on the dock and park my boat ? lol as well as how durable is the controller/will it fry when i have to jump off the dock and swim to my boat ? haha

We've got a 65 lb. Min-kota on our boat and it has Auto and co-pilot.The thing is amazing to fish alone with or in windy conditions,and the 65 will pull the boat at just over 2mph while down-rigging.....With the remote you can go anywhere on board and be in control,I haven't tried the water proof part though.....I don't think I'd buy one now that didn't have those features.....Hope it helps....TC and tight lines....Chuck....

I have that exact model on my boat. The auto pilot is great. I also like the long cord so I can sit in the back of my boat and "relax". I'm still getting used to the electric foot pedal. I much prefer the cable steer but that could be because that is what I am used to? It's not bad enough that I want to get rid of it. Not a huge fan of how it stows and deploys, you have to get right up over it. Make sure you have a safety strap running from the head of the unit to a cleat when towing or bouncing all over the water. I haven't had any problems with mine, but have heard stories.

I also cannot get over how long the batteries last. They seem to go forever.

Brian she does not know yet LOL youcan explain but I know she will like it as she can fish the front of the boat and still have control of the boat. It's also your fault for the Down Riggers new rods extra lures and GPS/Sonar combo heck if she still lets me go fishing with ya I guess all is good. LOL Its great to have friends who help ya spend $$$ well I gotta call jos now