Hey I found another lake that I will fish

holdfast

This would be my third attempt at this lake which is called Fish Lake on the Map. My other two attempts ended about halfway as I was spooked that my car would be burned to the ground if I wasn't quick enough. First time I decided to go straight in the Bush with map and compass and my second attempt was on an overgrown trail that some local Cree had directed me to.

Ive tried to show where I think the main Gravel road is in Red. Parking spot and my route to Fish Lake from the road. The existing road marked in Orange was what I thought was the Main Gravel Road but marked wrong on the Map. I did a Report earlier on the unnamed lake below where I parked and assumed at that time there was a problem with my GPS and Map not matching.

map1.png

This is a Picture of the Main Logging Road. Kind of a Main Service Road Between the Towns of Big River and Leoville. Nothing but nothing in Between except some Logging trucks and Locals. There are so cut roads of this MSR that is impossible to tell where they go as they are not mapped.

I found a so called track that was close to my start point as I wanted to hide my truck. What I found was a Native camp. Trashed and disgusting.

P4110027.jpg

P4110028.jpg

P4110031.jpg

I did some snooping around and figured the last time anybody was there was to drink beers around a fire. I was also hoping to find a trail that might lead me to the unnamed lake south but nothing after trying to bushwhack it for ahhhh 100 meters before I gave up. To thick to puncture 300 more meters to the lake.

So I checked my map, Put the grids on my GPS and walked east for about 2 Kms on the road till I got to my start point. I put on the GOTO and off I went. There was clearly a Cut line that might of been a trail that had been abandoned. The only signs on the ground was wolf scat, whitish clumps of fur and deer tracks, as well as my own from my winter boots. Other wise, no-one. I found the GPS helpful in telling me how many meters to the lake.

Here's a shot of the Trail from the Road. There is no way you would know it was there by driving past.

P4110032.jpg

The distance would be 1.5 Kms as to the grids I put on my GPS. I should end up where the creek enters the lake. For the most part the trail was easy going however there were times when I thought the trail had ended with over growth.

P4250111.jpg

P4250121.jpg

P4250120.jpg

Clearly someone blocked the trail by putting up a dirt barrier. I found two of these along the way.

P4250123.jpg

Check out this old front tractor tire. Look at the growth in the middle.

P4250122.jpg

I was about 200 meters from my destination when I spotted an opening and couldn't believe my eyes when I seen this road. Now everything made sense. This Track, is what is marked on the map as a gravel road. The main road as I suspected is not marked. So- how do I get on this track, where does it start and end in conjunction of the main road. What is the condition. Here's what gets me though, later that day I actually found this road on a Trail that I was told by a local that led nowhere. I would of found it on my first attempt instead I believed him. The Cree that showed me the trail to the lake, surely they must of knew that you could drive there. You think.

Heres pictures of the track

P4250118.jpg

P4250119.jpg

P4250116.jpg

A Picture from me looking at where I came out of the cut line.

P4250117.jpg

Well I had 200 meters to go so off I went on the road. WOW the Lake

P4250113.jpg

Even Better a road to the lake. Call it a launch if you want

P4250112.jpg

And a fairly large lake I may add

P4250115.jpg

And the Token abandoned cabin at that too

P4250114.jpg

This is fantastic as I found a trail from the main road to the track where I can drive and Launch, Now I can also check out the lakes along this abandoned marked road which was mapped. Next weekend is the start of fishing , however due to Fire fighting training this weekend, and Ice still on the lakes, I'm sure it'll be another few weeks for me any hoot.

Edited by holdfast

fun little adventure, kinda sucks finding out theres a road right to it and looks to be a decent launch there. look out for them natives, i hope you were wearing your orange walking through there! and the lake has probably been netted 10times over till there was nothing left and they just left the cabin to rot

the lake has probably been netted 10times over till there was nothing left and they just left the cabin to rot

or maybe they just flooded out one too many springs and moved ...but hey nice stereotype

cast a line in there when it thaws holdfast .. betcha its full of fish