Walleye setup

muddler

Looking for ideas.

I fish a lake 10 minutes from my house. Great walleye , pike and bass fishing. I use mostly a jig and twister tail to locate fish with a lot of sucess over the years. The problem that I'm having is that I'm getting a lot of cut offs when a pike hits the lure. I spliced a 3 ft section of 30lb test (8lb diameter) PowerPro to my 8lb mainline and my cut offs decreased dramtically. I still get cut off now and then. I tried the heavier florocarbon but I found that splicing it to my mono was a real hassle and the action of the jig was ' stiff' for lack of a better way to describe it. I treid trolling wire but it was too visible and my walleye hook up went way down.

I'd reall appreciate any other suggestions for a pike resistant leader when fishing walleye.

Thanks ....muddler

I had the same problem, except when I was trolling for walleye. After the time I lost 3 husky jerks in 45 minutes, I started using 20lb seaguar flouro. I know most guys wouldn't use that low, but so far so good. No bite offs in 3 years and the pike I did land, each one just inhaled the HJ and line held up. So I'm not sure what lb of flouro you were using, you can try the 20lb and see.

That is a FINE question to ask. I still haven't found a solution i REALLY like. Floro is probably your best bet. You can probably get away with 20lb floro if the pike arn't too big. Not sure what knots you are using, but a uni to uni is what i use to go from mainline to floro. You could always add on a swivel between the 2 line types. You dont need a very long floro leader either.

Try changing the knot on the jig to something with an open loop. The names escape me right now. Should allow more range of motion. You could also just add a snap...no swivel to the end of the floro.

I think this is one of those things where you are going to have to experiment a little.

-Dave

The balance solution is probably worse than the problem. You are getting a LOT of fish and or bites because you are using light leaders to begin with. Your lure is VERY inexpensive so I wouldn't change anything. I always use light line 4 - 6# line and if once in a while I lose a jig to a bite off it's just part of fishing, and don't forget it's now YOUR fish story to tell.

Don't go heavier, you will probably reduce you total catch by up to 50%.

Bob

Try changing the knot on the jig to something with an open loop. The names escape me right now. Should allow more range of motion. You could also just add a snap...no swivel to the end of the floro.

Non-Slip Loop or Rapala Knots.

http://www.netknots.com/html/non_slip_loop_knot.html

http://www.netknots.com/html/rapala_knot.html

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure what the rating is for the florocarbon I use since my fishing buddy gave me a 10 ft chunk so I could make up my own pike leaders ( swivel and cross lock snap at either end), but it looks pretty thick so Ill guess 40 lb. I'll try the 20 lb stuff though.

I landed a 46" pike last year using the power pro for a leader and I know I've been cut off by some real heavy fish. I like to get a real bragging size one for a picture one day. I usually get these pike when fishing for walleye. I don't often just target pike , and if I do I use a steel leader that I make up.

Once again , thanks guys.

muddler