Ever smoked fish in the oven???

brkygetr

I'd also like to try this. I was contemplating making a smoker (the one from Outdoor Canada) but it was only a cold smoker, which I found may have had less applications than I wanted, ie smoking ribs, duck, or whatever. Also when I priced the materials it would have been a bit too expensive for me.

Let us know how this turns out, I am very curious!

Are you actually 'smoking' those fillets are simply slow cooking them?

I'm no expert but you need wood chips and smoke to actually smoke fish.

I smoke fish a couple of times a year. Most recently a couple of whities from Simcoe. Started it off on my BBQ/smoker with about 4 hours of slow smoking with soaked maple chips. It creates a lot of smoke. WAY too much to be done inside. The meat was still a bit moist so I finished it off in the oven with the door open at 200F.

Regardless, if it tasted good then that's all the matters. However, the smokey flavour is best with real smoke.

Alternatively if you don't have a smoker and just use the oven, try a marinade with liquid smoke in it. I've done that with beef jerky. Turns out great.

Edited by rover1.5dx

I have a friend that would do this in his house using liquid smoke. When I went over there (days later) I could of swore he had a house fire because of the way it smelled when I walked in. Needless to say he was single........

However, to get real smoke taste you really need to actually smoke the fish...........

Bob

ok not smokin.... though I did add liquid smoke..came out too sweet...gonna coat it in HOT sauce to it to nullify the sweet...other than that worked great. 4.5 hours in the oven at 200 with the door cracked. Marinade consisted of brown sugar (too much), soya, hickory marinade (Club House), and the liquid smoke.

Girlfriend loves it...I think its too sweet.....

either way its GOOD!