Crappie tackle/bait ?

Lunker777

Hey everyone

Just got word the crappies have been in for a few days now so I'm plannin on headin out this week sometime...

I was just talking to my buddy and he mentioned we had to get minnows ? ( I have never fished for crappie before ) I thought worms or a small tube jig would suffice... minnows are expensive and tough to find around here, or at least they were last year.

So what would be the ideal gear and bait for targeting crappie this time of the year ?

I like berkley power baits the mico dots or what ever they call them very small dots of bait in pink or chartuse on a very small jig head that has a pink/white,red/white,blue/white or purple tube it depends what they want I also dont use anything over 4lbs line on a UL rod if your in 8 FOW I would fish the upper 2-3' they will tell you what they want the hard part is to find them.

This is my 'crappie killer' setup:

1/16 or 1/32 glow-in-the-dark jighead in white, with a 1" or 2" microtube in pink head / white streamers. I put a small piece of gulp waxworm on for scent, but you can use anything with scent.

Place a small float about 1-3 feet above depending on how deep the water is, make sure you have enough weights to keep the bobber sensitive and upright is required, and you will hit the fish if they are there.

I was fishing last Saturday in a park with over 100 people for crappie, it was shoulder to shoulder fishing, my first experience with it and I didn't like it too much.

Despite the intense fishing pressure, I managed the only real slab I saw that day! I also caught a smaller crappie, which I only saw one other person do the whole day.

The people around me were using live minnows but did not get a single crappie, just a lot of dink perch. If the bite is on, go with a 2", if it is very light try going smaller to 1". And good luck!

Just be sure to have a variety of colours for the tubes..

I had purple turn on really hot for me for about 10 minutes, and next thing you know, they just refused to hit purple.

Switch around, and if there are people around and catching crappie, try and match them. If they aren't catching, change to a new colour.

Must have colours : Pink, red, yellow, green, white

Fin S Shad..colors Arkansas shiner or black with gold flecks on a 1/32 lunker city jighead hung under a float. In the Kawartha's or on Simcoe that is all you need. Spool up with nothing heavier then 4LB line and you are gold. Good luck at getting into a few. I will take a feed of perch over a feed of crappie anyday...but I do love fishin for slabs. I can't wait for the kawartha opener.

Fin S Shad..colors Arkansas shiner or black with gold flecks on a 1/32 lunker city jighead hung under a float. In the Kawartha's or on Simcoe that is all you need. Spool up with nothing heavier then 4LB line and you are gold. Good luck at getting into a few. I will take a feed of perch over a feed of crappie anyday...but I do love fishin for slabs. I can't wait for the kawartha opener.

come on look at this OFC'ers name....... he dosnt know what he's talking about :angel:

come on look at this OFC'ers name....... he dosnt know what he's talking about :angel:

He just doesn't want to admit that nothing beats a "Tony Special"... :lol:

Edited by Beans