Boating in Hamilton Harbour

pmaloney

My boat is a 14.5 foot open bow with a 50 hp motor. I want to launch into HH but I'm nervous about it.

I plan to try this on a nice calm day, but are there any procedural differences for the Harbour than for other small lakes? I noticed the Hamilton Harbour Boat Launch sign says speed limit of 20 kph on the harbour. Is this correct?

Also, I'm curious about going under the lift bridge into Lake Ontario. Can anyone just go ahead and do that?

Sorry...I'm a total newbie. Please point me to a faq or other resource if I've missed it, or just let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

My boat is a 14.5 foot open bow with a 50 hp motor. I want to launch into HH but I'm nervous about it.

Don't be, because it's enclosed from the big lake it might get windy but it doesn't build up the large seas you'd get on Lake O. 14 1/2 is fine.

I plan to try this on a nice calm day, but are there any procedural differences for the Harbour than for other small lakes? I noticed the Hamilton Harbour Boat Launch sign says speed limit of 20 kph on the harbour. Is this correct?

It is, but fairly new and rarely observed & enforced. The only time the LEO's get sticky on speed is during Poker Runs.

Also, I'm curious about going under the lift bridge into Lake Ontario. Can anyone just go ahead and do that?

Yup.

Sorry...I'm a total newbie. Please point me to a faq or other resource if I've missed it, or just let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

http://www.hamiltonport.ca/default.aspx

Watch the wind direction. That will decide which side of the bay/harbour to launch at. There is Pier 4, La Salle and the Hamilton side of the lift bridge, the only one with a fee. Yes it can get pretty choppy and the waves in the harbour can be steep even though they may not be that large. I have been through the canal several times. If it is calm and not too many hotdogs running through it in larger or faster boats it is OK. Large wakes from them bounce back and forth rebounding off the concrete piers and it can be a hectic and scary passage. I have gone through it with a 12'r and my 16', both are open bow tinnies.

Give it a try and you will see the shoreline from a different more interesting view. Oh yeah, they were putting the barrier up around La Salle Park launch last week so it will be pretty calm in there for setting sail.

Go ahead and enjoy the harbour it is a nice day of boating, you can pass under the lift bridge anytime,just remember if it is up for the big ships that it is their right of way and to give them plenty of room. You will find that you can still be on the water in the harbour when the main lake is too rough. There is a speed limit but I have never seen it enforced, it exists because you have to remember that the main purpose of the harbour is commercial shipping not to mention there are alot of sailboats out there on many days from the Yacht club. Use common sense and follow safe boating practices and you are fine, I found it safer than some of the northern lakes with alot of shallow hidden structure. Have all your safety equipment on board as I have been spot checked twice by the marine units, they are in the harbour often.

Have all your safety equipment on board as I have been spot checked twice by the marine units, they are in the harbour often.

Hamilton is used as a training area for several marine units, so plan to be stopped by units that might be short on knowledge and long on attitude.

Hey Stue,

Launching at Pier 4 is a treat. The launch and docks are fantastic and there are ample double length parking spots for car and trailer. It really has been designed and built well.

It can be rough at times but you just drive down and take a look, if it is too rough you try again another day. There is so much room down there turning around and coming home is no biggy.

I think you'll like it (it will likely be where I take mine for the spring shake-down cruise).

Jim

I can be found on the harbour almost every weekend in the summer. Usually, I'm running a 12' tin boat with various small hp motors. Sometimes I'm running in a 14.5' aluminium with a 30 hp. I have to pick and choose my days. I can tell you what the forecasted and/or current wind direction and speed is everyday for Hamilton Harbour during the boating season. For me, wind from the west under 15 kph is ideal.

The Pier 4 launch is great. There are only two problems with it. Idiots parking their cars in the trailer parking area and the volume of boat launching traffic. I find its best to launch before 10 am.

Don't expect to receive any respect from other boaters while on the harbour or especially through the canal. No one cares that you are in a small boat and seldom do they respect the no-wake rules.