Sea Nymph 14k

duckdog

I now have a sea nymph 14k, its rated for a 15hp anyone have or had one of these? what did or do you have on it for hp? I would love to keep my mariner its just bin a great motor and I put more money into then I am going to get out off lol, I know not to go over the rated hp but man I am at a toss up here. Anyways any experience with these boats?

I'd have to see it first.. but don't think the 20 would be a big deal over a 15.

Had a nymph in for repairs last week though... not the toughest built hulls. Didn't pay much attention to the transom to give you a definitive thought on the matter.

well here is what I based my answer on, my new boat I recently purchased was rated at 25hp max, the dealer had a deal on some 30 hp Mercs, he said I would have to buy the boat and engine separately and install the motor myself because they cannot install a motor on boat that is over the max rated hp of the boat. ALso a friend of mine had a boat with a over rated hp engine and he had great difficulty obtaining insurance for that boat. I think if ever there was a accident in a boat with an over rated motor there could be issues raised, I wouldn't want to take the chance, but hey to each his own...

No arguement George... just stating there's no law against it. Ie the OPP or Coast Guard cannot fine/charge you for having a 300 Verado on a 275HP rated boat. Marina may have a rule for themselves to avoid any liablity issues at their end and the insurance company... I have a First Mate package and their only issue before writting coverage was whether the boat could do more than 50 MPH and I said no it's too darn heavy and the writter said that's what he thought as well! B)

Edited by irishfield

I thank you guys for your input, it does help quite a bit, I am not interested in how fast it will go, just I know how the motor runs and all the parts I put in it, so I may just try it out with the 20hp as soon as ice is out

No arguement George... just stating there's no law against it. Ie the OPP or Coast Guard cannot fine/charge you for having a 300 Verado on a 275HP rated boat. Marina may have a rule for themselves to avoid any liablity issues at their end and the insurance company... I have a First Mate package and their only issue before writting coverage was whether the boat could do more than 50 MPH and I said no it's too darn heavy and the writter said that's what he thought as well! B)

I think I worry too much sometimes, that said if I had a boat rated for 15hp and I also had a good 20hp I would put them together and use them.

lol iam sure it'll go faster than 50mph wayne!

but once you add all your gear and danno plus yourself its a different story! :)

Some 15hp and 20hp motors are the same weight. So as long as it is not a real heavy 20hp i would use it.

Damage to the transom from too much force may happen. I would make sure the transom is a strong as possible. Or just dont open the throttle up all the way. This saves gas too.

Nelson.. this is the general formula used for max HP rating of boats in the USA

(2 X L X W) -90 = rated horsepower

So based on that if that 14'r is 5 feet wide supposably you could put a 50 on it. I wouldn't try it... lol

:lol: That must be the Tim Allen "More Power" formula, that would mean my 16' x 6'W could potentially have a 100HP strapped to it..don't think so.

I had a sweet Sea Nymph- bigger 14' tinny- maxed it out with a 25 hp Johnson- that thing would fly! Very safe and comfortable and could get off the lake in a hurry if needed. Would 5 extra horse have made a difference- might have pushed it over the edge!