Turkey gun pattern

richyb

Today I dug out my turkey choke and grabbed the 3 types of shells I have and headed to where I sight in my guns. My cheek is still a bit on the tender side :P . The number in the bottom right of the pics indicates the number of neck and head hits. The target was at 40 yards.

winchester #5 3 1/2"

win5.JPG

winchester #4 3 1/2"

win4.JPG

Kent ultimate diamond shot #5 3 1/2"

kent.JPG

To me the kent has the best pattern but it is hitting low. Since I was aiming at the black dot I know that if I put the bead on the top of the big gobblers head its going to be nighty night. I fired 2 of the kents and both targets look similar in shot grouping.

Anyone else have some pattern pics ?

Edited by richyb

I dont mean to sound negitive,but thats brutal.

40 yards, you should be right on the head better then that,IMO.

I,ll be out this weekend ,and will post my shots Rich.

Thats why I was posting to see peoples opinions. All of the other guys I hunt with are shooting 2 3/4 with modified or full chokes that get maybe 5 in the head and neck at 40. That paper is just printer paper and a turkeys head is bigger than what I put on there. Im sure if I was a turkey 30 shots to the head and neck wouldnt make me a happy camper.

What choke do you use? Mine is a carlsons .650 not many options for my crappy stoeger p350.

I use the H.S STRUT UNDERTAKER Model 00660

Give a visit to the Wolfsden Rich. They may help you out abit.

00660.jpg

Edited by misfish

You mean I shouldn't be blowin them apart with the Winchester Xpert High Velocity #2 Steel shot in my spanish double barrel Brian?? :D

HAHA well if were using #2's i might as well just use my 30-06 , im sure at 40 yards i could take the head clean off !

You mean I shouldn't be blowin them apart with the Winchester Xpert High Velocity #2 Steel shot in my spanish double barrel Brian?? :D

Do you have a turkey lic Wayne????????????????

If not then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, NO

HAHA well if were using #2's i might as well just use my 30-06

Now theres some sport Rich.LOL

Guest gbfisher
HAHA well if were using #2's i might as well just use my 30-06 , im sure at 40 yards i could take the head clean off !

Now yer talkin... :)

what size of shot were you using richy? 3" 3 1/2 ?

i know at 40yds with 2 3/4" plain jane full choke i'm hittin close to 40 pellets in a "kill zone"

that seems like a big pattern if your shooting 3 or 3.5 inch shells with a good choke.

Edited by BassAsin

what size of shot were you using richy? 3" 3 1/2 ?

i know at 40yds with 2 3/4" plain jane full choke i'm hittin close to 40 pellets in a "kill zone"

that seems like a big pattern if your shooting 3 or 3.5 inch shells with a good choke.

Aw crap i forgot to put in what size shells lol all 3 1/2 inch. winchester 4, and 5 and kent ultimate diamond number 5 .

I might use the guillotine with my bow, a guy at the camp baught a pack but then figured out he couldnt use them with his x bow unless he kept taking off his foot sturrip after he loads it.

ok so especially for 3 1/2 i would say thats a pretty crappy pattern. it could be the choke or the shot maybe a few things, gonna have to keep shootin, at 40 with a good choke and 3 1/2 you should be puttin 50+ in a kill area.

I was doin some reading and thy say a good turkey gun is one that will put 100 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. Maybe ill try a shot at the circle and see how many I can get. Would the .650 be too tight and be giving my shot too much compression and making it spray a bit? most of the reading ive been doin people are using .665 or .670. The guys at the camp think im crazy wanting to hit a turkey with so much lead. They are happy putting 5 in the head and neck at 40, but I want some serious blood when I pull the trigger lol

I was doin some reading and thy say a good turkey gun is one that will put 100 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. Maybe ill try a shot at the circle and see how many I can get. Would the .650 be too tight and be giving my shot too much compression and making it spray a bit? most of the reading ive been doin people are using .665 or .670. The guys at the camp think im crazy wanting to hit a turkey with so much lead. They are happy putting 5 in the head and neck at 40, but I want some serious blood when I pull the trigger lol

do you have any other chokes at your disposal you can put to the test? 100 in a pie plate at 40 yds means my gun sucks! but it has dropped birds at 45 gotta ask, does it really take 100 pellets?

do you have any other chokes at your disposal you can put to the test? 100 in a pie plate at 40 yds means my gun sucks! but it has dropped birds at 45 gotta ask, does it really take 100 pellets?

Nah it doesnt take 100 pellets , only 1 , I have dropped birds at 75 with this gun ( first year judging distance, thought it was 50) ;) But id like to get it shooting as good as possible. I am very currious to see pics of other peoples patterns to compare. I have a full choke that came with the gun but I tried it last year and I was only averaging 15 in the head an neck, thats why I got the turkey choke.

Cant wait to see others pics. Most of the pics I can find online arent much better than the results I have unless they have scopes, expensive shells, and expensive chokes.

The 10 inch circle allows to find the best pattern. Your not only looking for 100 in teh circle but a fairly consistant pattern as well.....not blotchy. If you can get it to pattern with AT LEAST 100 then you know you can kill your bird at 40.

I don't have much 1st hand experiance but i do understand a good portion of the theory behind patterning. I think you are going to have to play with your chokes 1st off. Get the 10 inch circle and try the full choke and then the turkey choke about 3 times each and see how many are in the circle. WHich one is better? Might give you a clue to what is happening with your shot when it leaves the gun.

If you are consistantly getting low numbers in teh circle try the heavy shot and see what happens. All the variations of heavy shot pattern a little different so u have some play in the selection. The upside to heavier shot is that even if you have fewer pellets hitting the target then you want, each pellet is carrying more energy and therfore does more damage then lead of the same size.

You can also consider going down a size or 2 in size with heavy shot. It'll give you more pellets but still retain enough energy to drop a bird.

You're gonna have to play and experiment to see what works.

If you are still having trouble it's a good excuse to go gun shopping lol.

Good Luck.

-Dave

Edited by Ramble On

By the looks of your pics, I'd say your pattern is blown. In other words, the shot is so tight that the pellets are actually crossing each other, and your left with a hole in the middle of your pattern. Hard to describe.

I shoot 3" Kent #5 diamond shot 90% of the time. The key is getting them close. There is no need for 40yd shots at turkeys.....if they're coming, let them get close. The heavy shot is crazy, but not really needed......unless your taking crack shots at over 40 yds at turkeys......which you shouldn't.

I'll take some pics of my pattern once I get out to pattern it. Maybe this weekend.

I'm just shooting a remington extra full choke. I tried the turkey chokes and I found my Xfull was better.

Every gun will shoot different. Take two guns that are identical, and they will pattern differently. You have to shoot a lot of shells, out of lots of chokes to find what works best.

I find the best way to kill anything with a shotgun is to work them close......then shoot thier face off! Try aiming a little lower on your target too.........I aim for the base of the neck. If your aiming too high, half of your pattern is going to go over the bird. I'd rather have the center of the target on the neck, and all the rest of the shot above and below center still hitting the bird.

Sinker