what is Copolymer fishing line?

rbaquial

Ok, probably another stupid question from "yours truly"... :P

Anyway, I've never heard of this type of line called "Copolymer"? 1st time I've ever seen it was when I was out @ Lucky's Fishing Tackle Shop....one thing I've noticed, is that they're all "lighter" line? ranging from 2lb to 8lb? Is this type of line designed for Float fishing? What is it meant for? What are its benefits? down-sides? etc...?

Thanks!

RoB (King of stupid questions!) :D

GAMMA Technologies is the only company producing a "processed line" using Nano-Technology that provides up to double the break strength for the stated size and traditional pound test diameters. Whether you fish tournaments or for relaxation, your time on the water is too valuable to be compromised by your line's performance. Choose GAMMA's high performance line and start catching more fish.

IT's a stronger lighter line ....more for fishing tribs and lakes with lots of rocks and stuff.....The ling is finer ( preferred by most) and is easier to manage !

gamma_edge_500x529.jpg

I asked this same question when I first joined, and didn't get much of a response. I did however buy a spool of 8lb co-polymer. Seemed to work just fine. Certainly not a "super-line" but very similar to mono.

what is Copolymer fishing line?

Not sure what it is now, but back in the mid to late 1980`s Stren rolled out Prime with a big advertising campaign. Inner and out layers, and I put it on most of my reels just before a trip up north. After 17# test breaking on the hookset 3-4 times and leaving a pigtail of the inner layer I stopped fishing and drove down to Parry Sound and got enough line(original stren) to refill all my reels.

Only time I was so dissatisfied with a product that I stopped fishing to change. I let them know about it, it wasn`t on the market long.

GAMMA Technologies is the only company producing a "processed line" using Nano-Technology that provides up to double the break strength for the stated size and traditional pound test diameters. Whether you fish tournaments or for relaxation, your time on the water is too valuable to be compromised by your line's performance. Choose GAMMA's high performance line and start catching more fish.

IT's a stronger lighter line ....more for fishing tribs and lakes with lots of rocks and stuff.....The ling is finer ( preferred by most) and is easier to manage !

gamma_edge_500x529.jpg

Brought to you by Billy Mays!

Sounds like an infomercial... LOL

I haven't used copolymer lines yet but the name has to do with the chemical structure of the line. A copolymer contains at least 2 monomers whereas a monofilament line is a strand of the same monomer. The structure of copolymers can differ so it all depends on the arrangement of the monomers being used. (Had to pull out the chem book for that stuff, didn't remember everything from that course)

Now I don't know that having different arrangements of monomers is any better then a single strand of monomers in regards to a fishing line but the main use of copolymerization is to modify man made plastics. I would imagine that the scientists have found some benefits to doing this, whether or not these benefits translate directly to better fishing is something you will have to test and see for yourself. I might give it a shot too so long as it's not ridiculously expensive.

Co-polymer is a mix between two different lines - Fluoro and Mono.

Some decide to have a mono inside w/ a fluoro coating, and some say that they have fused them together to make it into one material to have the best of both worlds. The graph seems exaggerated though, The performance is a compromise between the two...So less supple, but better abraision resistant, more strength.

I've tried two different types of the line personally, Yo-zuri Hybrid, and Silver Thread..I actually think that they are pretty good lines except that Trilene XL remains better. Only thing that also happens to be a fact is that Trilene is quite a bit more expensive.

Trilene has a 9/10 rating in my books, and Yo-Zuri Hybrid and Silver Thread would get 8.5/10