Question for those who use WADERS... Finally tested for leaks.

rbaquial

Hey OFC'ers,

I recently picked up a pair of waders from a guy on Kijiji. Now, when I 1st contacted him, he told me that the reason why he was selling it was that the size shoe/boot they had sent him, doesn't fit him; Hence, why he's selling them. He also told me he attached the waders to the boot with some wader glue; and that he also water tested it and had no leaks. Now my question for you wader users are the following...

1) Does the boot normally come already attached to the wader? or does it come detached, and you have to attach it yourselves?

2) I also noticed when I tried to put my foot into the waders that it created some sort of suction at the boot; preventing from my foot fitting into it completely? Is this supposed to happen? Is there some unknown technique to "undue" this problem? I was thinking of stuffing some clothing or newspaper into the boot to help "stretch" it out - but when I had tried that method with shirts, it STILL created a suction effect! I would try using some newspapers, but I would assume you'd need A LOT to help stretch it out! My question for this is - Is there some unknown technique to "undue" this suction problem at the boot?

3) Could I get away with detaching the boot from the wader; wear the waders but with water-proof boots/shoes? (high enough to cover up to my calf muscle; with wader tucked inside?) *I'm assuming doing this would post risk for leakage into the boot?* (I know its a stupid question, but I had to ask being its my 1st time using waders)

If it helps, its made by a company called "Tommy D Sports". I tried looking up the company website online, but didn't find the waders they have/had. I'm assuming they stopped production of the waders? Here are some pics of the waders if it helps any...

Waders.jpg

WadersBoots.jpg

Thanks Folks!

I really appreciate the help!

RoB

Edited by Addikted2Fishin'

As a rule you have different types of waders ... Pre attach boot style ( like you have there currently), and yes they normally come attached. The other major style is the sock style ( which yours may have been originally). If you are having problems getting your foot into the wader, make sure you have a light sock on ( never barefoot) and add a bit of talcum powder. If you are still not happy with the boot, you can remove it and purchase a pair of wader boots instead. I will enclose a link to some below ( ps i am in no way associated with the website ..just the first one i found that was any good).

Imo waders are the one of the most important single piece of gear for the river fisherperson. A good pair provide a sure grip on slippery rocks, warmth from the chill and most of all are water tight. There is nothing worse than being cool and miserable while you catch that big one. While i am on the subject of comfort and safety, find yourself a good walking stick. It will become your best friend on the river, testing water depth and keeping you stable while you weave yourself over the rock. Best of luck on the river, there is nothing better than transversing the waterways insearch of that big one.

http://dynamicaqua.com/chestwaders.html#wadelite

Edited by Fudd

Usually waders come with either a stocking foot or the boot attached already. I have never heard of anyone cutting off the lower part of a pair of waders and glueing on a boot . Waders go through alot of ware and tear on a regular basis on the river and even a manufactured pair of waders will have issues eventually with seam leaks so I would be very carefull with these homemade type boot attachments you have......The worst thing is springing a leak while fishing in cold water. Pretty much will end your day...

Good luck

Most top brands used to only come with the boot unattached. Redball springs to mind. That all changed in the 90's with mass chinese production. The brand he has was a popular short lived brand from that time manufactured in Florida.

in hill~billy terms you got hosed man...the waders were altered the guy can't return them . hence destroying the original design by putting on cheap pair of suction boots most people wouldn't buy if their life depended on it....Yea so cut the part off and grab a good pair of boots..us Hill-billies just use an old pair of jeans and work boots! lol good luck with them man...honestly Id cut my loses and buy a new pair!

Edited by fishinFanatic69

Ya, it's probably angering to hear it, but I'd cut my losses on those things. I expect you are getting that suction because the guy used a $5 pair of boots.

Waders come with boots already attached, or with a stocking foot that you wear a separate boot over. He probably has stocking foot waders that he glued a rubber boot onto. I've never heard of someone doing this. I would be shocked if those things didn't leak after spending some time walking around. The problem with using other boots is that they would likely leak as well after some time walking around.

You can get a pair of waders for under $100. I would definitely cut my losses and buy a new pair.

Maybe post those things on Kijiji and see what happens:)

Hi Rob,

It very difficult to see flaws in used waders, even in the highest quality brand names. You could never detect a leak unless you put them on and walked into deep water allowing the pressure of the water to push through any pin sized holes. I would suggest going and buying new ones, as those do not look like they will last a long time.

Hey, you got 'em now, so why not try 'em out? Those boots look exactly the same as the ones on the nylon waders I bought at CTC. HTHM has 'em at the moment so he'd have to confirm that. Test them by going fishing. If you get wet, get out of the water. If they do leak try patching them with aquaseal or somesuch. If the boots are too uncomfortable (try nylon sox and even talc) then give up on the waders. It's probably not worthwhile removing and replacing the boots.

If you want to try it yourself go to a dive shop (if there's no fishing store that can help you) and get some neoprene booties. They use 'em on scuba drysuits. They glue on just like the boots. Then you wear whatever works best over them for comfort and traction. Get a pair of cheap hicuts and glue felt soles on for traction.

Play around with those waders. What have you got to lose? It's not like they're life support equipment. They're just about comfort. Some folks will tell you that neoprene is the only way to go for the cold but I really dislike neoprene. It's bulky and often too hot. I've dived in 34 degree (F) water a number of times quite comfortably in a shell (waterproof synthetic canvas type stuff). I think the longest dive was something like 45 minutes at 40-50'. It's all about layering correctly.

JF

Thanks for everyone for the tips/comments! I really appreciate it! :D I just had a quick question...

Can I buy this and attach it to the waders? then just wear wader boots over it? Should that work out ok?

EDIT: not necessarily those in SPECIFIC, but just NEOPRENE SOCKS in general that I could attach? Or should I just "face the music" and cut my losses? :(

Hey man Id just use the waders and neoprene socks . grab a good pair of boots and voila..you can always bring a dry set of socks and shoes to change into before and after.

Yeah, but I'm worried about the water being so cold, thus forcing me to quit fishing :(

Rob, if you want to go through all the work to make the changes then yes you MAY be ok but is it worth it? Not to P-U off but I got a set of $280 waders at BPS for $79 NEW and nothing wrong with them other then a new line coming out. So it's you call on what you SHOULD do with those VS how to fix or replace those.

Just my 2 cents.

G

Edited by GBW

Rob, if you want to go through all the work to make the changes then yes you MAY be ok but is it worth it? Not to P-U off but I got a set of $280 waders at BPS for $79 NEW and nothing wrong with them other then a new line coming out. So it's you call on what you SHOULD do with those VS how to fix or replace those.

Just my 2 cents.

G

I'm looking @ BPS website, which ones did you get?? I may just get new ones too :(

I'm looking @ BPS website, which ones did you get?? I may just get new ones too :(

Rob, I got ones like this last year (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98059_175009001_175000000_175009000_175-9-1) for a sale price and the reg. price was $280UDS. Watch out on the felt vs rubber bottom too! Felt is nasty in mud but great in slimy rocks so look at where you fish 95% of the time before you buy. Read as much as you can before you buy. After all, my 1st set are only for me to install the dock in the spring and take it out in the fall otherwise they are as good as XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.......

G.

Rob, I got ones like this last year (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_98059_175009001_175000000_175009000_175-9-1) for a sale price and the reg. price was $280UDS. Watch out on the felt vs rubber bottom too! Felt is nasty in mud but great in slimy rocks so look at where you fish 95% of the time before you buy. Read as much as you can before you buy. After all, my 1st set are only for me to install the dock in the spring and take it out in the fall otherwise they are as good as XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.......

G.

Thanks man! :D

Thanks again for everyone for trying to help someone new to this sport of Steelheading & Waders world! :wallbash:

I finally got around to testing for leaks - none! :D Only 1 problem... and although I know they're new... it was pretty tight around the boot... not to mention the mid-section! (dammit, I knew all those years of drinking in College would finally catch-up!)....So, I've come to a final decision and going to just sell them...

But before I do that - quick question - Are they supposed to be "tight" around the body? It was pretty tight around the feet (boots)...But I figure cause they are knew, they need some time to "work-in"? .... are the supposed to be tight like that? Geezus, I felt like I was putting on a 6yr olds t-shirt!! SOMEONE HELP!! :wallbash: :wallbash:

EDIT: Sorry, I'm thinking I'm over-exaggerating a little bit... the body/torso area fit was TIGHT - but not overly tight...like, I can handle it. But the boots, not so much... it was really tight. I was wondering if I should just deal with getting Waders w/ Neoprene Booties?

I need help and suggestions!

neoprene is like a wetsuit, in fact one on the same so it all depends on what type you buy for the loose fit or show your junk fit. the set I have are loose as I do not wear them in the rivers here as there is so much mud (felt bottoms too) to slip on and there is no way I'm in the rivers for a long time when it's that cold! What do you want to use them for, think of seasons and locations before you decide on the "new" ones you are going to get. Cheers.

G

Edited by GBW