Channel Cat equipment.

bassjnkie

I have a lot of carp gear that I know will handle a there cats, but I rather have a separate setup to target them. I have the reel which is a Abu C4, but I was just wondering what rod to pair it with, any suggestion would be great? For the main line I am not worried, I have lots of egg and bell sinkers hanging around, for bait I have an idea what to use. Do you suggest I use a mono, or fluorocarbon leader? Lastly, what hook size and brand do you recommend?

Any help will be great. Thank you

Large circle hooks are the best, they make for easy release. No need for a leader for invisibility but if you're fishing heavy braid you may want a mono leader in case you get snagged. Breaking off 20lb braid from a snag can be a pain in the :asshat:

Large circle hooks are the best, they make for easy release. No need for a leader for invisibility but if you're fishing heavy braid you may want a mono leader in case you get snagged. Breaking off 20lb braid from a snag can be a pain in the :asshat:

I never used circle hooks, what size do you recommend? or should I just buy different sizes and test them?

Thanks

Can anyone suggest a rod?

Edited by DanielM

i use my muskie gear. i fish cats on the grand a lot and have for years. i use a 7'6" med/hvy st croix premier with an abu garcia 6501 C3 spooled with 50lb braid. then i use a 12lb mono leader. u can use more if u like, but 12 works fine for me. and 5/0 circle hooks, or 3/0-4/0 baitholder hooks.

I don`t specifically target cats, incidental catches for us so we don`t invest money in gear for them. Most of the heavier bass tackle, pike tackle has worked to land them with no issues. 17-20 pound test mono, I use stren but your choice, a stiff baitcasting rod or spinning rod. Our bigger ones up north were caught while fishing for pike walleye skis with big chubs-shiners on a heavier 3/0-4/0 heavy hook but a pre snelled one with with leader because cats weren`t the target.

Powerful fish, if you hook them in an area that has wood in the water you want to be able to keep the away from it. Rod my wife used, not much of a caster, and definitely not a bait caster was a heavy 6 foot ugly stick, old style diawa spinning reel, like maybe a 2600? larger than most freshwater reels, like maybe the old mitchell 302-6 size.

All I used when fishing with her was my heavier bass gear, 7'6" flipping stick, 20 pound mono, rod is rated for like 3/8 to 2 ounce lures.

I don't know what to suggest for rods but you won't need to use fluorocarbon leader for sure, they find food mostly from smell/odour (thus the reason for stinky type bait) and they aren't line shy. If anything I'd find something more abrasion resistance (unless you think FC has good abrasion resis...) because they just bulldogs when you hook them.

I actually went out yesterday and used my carp setup (Nexave 2.5TC + 4500B) and it was alright, overkill for the smaller ones but I don't want to lose that trophy if I do hook him.

edit: what I said about the FC is based on the assumption that you're fishing them at this time, I have no idea how they are when they start chasing hardware later in the year when it gets warmer (may-june from what i've read somewhere else?)

Edited by Victor

Thanks everyone, I bought the hooks yesterday, but I'm going to order the rod or get the ST. Croix as mentioned above. Thank Victor for the FC info, I will stick to mono, or may be a length of Snake Bite. LOL

Thanks again

Daniel

Edited by DanielM