first time

BassAsin

Storm makes some 9 inch swim baits that are reasonably priced.

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklestore/showcase.cfm?PID=719

Storm also has these swimbaits-10" Baits have 2 hooks http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...__SearchResults

i do realize they sell the soft swimbaits, but i'd just like to make and customize my own, my own colour size shape, hooks, and most of all it just feels that much better to catch a fish on something you have made on your own. they also sell pop r's but i plan on carving some of my own.

If you let the spinner blade lay on the dressing you can sometimes have a problem getting the blade turning.

Water pressure will pin the blade to the hair, feathers etc.

I try to tie my baits with enough beads etc. to keep the blade away from the hair.

6.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

If you let the spinner blade lay on the dressing you can sometimes have a problem getting the blade turning.

Water pressure will pin the blade to the hair, feathers etc.

I try to tie my baits with enough beads etc. to keep the blade away from the hair.

thank you for the tip. i am using willow leafs blades if it makes a difference or not, and nice looking spinners i must say! not a whole lot here in the north for tying supplies. and didnt shoot enough deer last year to have enough hair to keep tying.

Matt!

You can buy tails of every colour on-line. There's an outfit here in Ontario but I used to order from a company called Stamina in the States.

Water testing your baits is the only way to know for sure whether the blades are going to work or not.

One point...I have never seen a commercially made Willow Leaf Bucktail...There might be a reason!

In the Fall go to see the Butcher who processes most of the deer in your area. Ask him to save you some tails. Most guys don't mind saving the tails IF you remember to come back and pick them up fairly often. No one wants a bag of bloody tail hanging around their work place for very long.

I buy replacement choke cables from CTC. then throw the cable and knob away. I cut the spiral-wound outer cover into 2" sections. These sections are covered with a layer of old Power Pro and then the hair is tied on top of that. I tie seven collars of hair on each bait. Each collar is neatly finished just like the head. The next collar starts about 1/4 inch in front of the last. The head cement will hold the bait together, so I try to use as little thread as possible, while still covering all the cut ends of hair. Think about the guides on your heaviest fishing rod. There's a single, neat winding of thread holding those guides on.

The key to making a professional looking bait is to be able to tie a small neat head. I've already mentioned the thread, now I'll give you one more clue. Don't use big clumps of hair!

My hooks are on split rings so they can be replaced easily. Since the bait is made of components, if it gets too badly damaged, I can recycle everything by replacing the wire.

I hope this helps.

Garry

Edited by garry2rs

You can buy tails of every colour on-line. There's an outfit here in Ontario but I used to order from a company called Stamina in the States.

Water testing your baits is the only way to know for sure whether the blades are going to work or not.

One point...I have never seen a commercially made Willow Leaf Bucktail...There might be a reason!

In the Fall go to see the Butcher who processes most of the deer in your area. Ask him to save you some tails. Most guys don't mind saving the tails IF you remember to come back and pick them up fairly often. No one wants a bag of bloody tail hanging around their work place for very long.

I buy replacement choke cables from CTC. then throw the cable and knob away. I cut the spiral-wound outer cover into 2" sections. These sections are covered with a layer of old Power Pro and then the hair is tied on top of that. I tie seven collars of hair on each bait. Each collar is neatly finished just like the head. The next collar starts about 1/4 inch in front of the last. The head cement will hold the bait together, so I try to use as little thread as possible, while still covering all the cut ends of hair. Think about the guides on your heaviest fishing rod. There's a single, neat winding of thread holding those guides on.

The key to making a professional looking bait is to be able to tie a small neat head. I've already mentioned the thread, now I'll give you one more clue. Don't use big clumps of hair!

My hooks are on split rings so they can be replaced easily. Since the bait is made of components, if it gets too badly damaged, I can recycle everything by replacing the wire.

I hope this helps.

Garry

thanks for the tips, i try using small amounts of hair and blue fox has a large 8-9 inch bucktail with willows on it, thats where the idea came from.

thanks

Matt!

Your baits look excellent BassAsin

Colorado & Fluted blades are good but they hold the bait higher in the water column, whereas the Willowleaf will allow your bait to run at at deeper level and that's often what your looking for.

I carry alot of bucktails with willowleafs in my boat and their excllent for when you want the bait to run deeper. The smaller profile of the blade doesn't hold the bait up high like the other styles of blades.

Folks that stick with only one style of blade miss out on alot of fish.

Your baits look excellent BassAsin

Colorado & Fluted blades are good but they hold the bait higher in the water column, whereas the Willowleaf will allow your bait to run at at deeper level and that's often what your looking for.

I carry alot of bucktails with willowleafs in my boat and their excllent for when you want the bait to run deeper. The smaller profile of the blade doesn't hold the bait up high like the other styles of blades.

Folks that stick with only one style of blade miss out on alot of fish.

good to know, i've tied a few more now and the large soft plastic swimbait i'm working on is just about cured and ready to shape.