Dakota 4x4 Brake controller help

LeXXington

Ok normally when I need help I check everywhere first and find the correct answear. but this one I am stumped.

I have a 2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4 extended cab (WITH NO towing package) and I am hooking up a brake controller..

Everything has gone excellent. I am down too the last part hooking up the one cable too the brake controller everything else is up and running..

Sure you say the cable should be ........ ????

I have checked the internet, lots of information but nothing I can find about my truck.

Checked with Action Van and truck world, they told me where it might be I checked it was not there. But book an appotment and they will complete it.

checked with the dealer. No idea but we can do it for $250.00

Everyone had a differnt idea where it might be but I still can't seem to find it.

I really do not want to head into service too hook up one small wire,

~ I have checked above the emergancy brake but because I don't have the tow package its not there.

~ I have checked under the centre console but there is no white/blue cable there.

The only option I have is to cut the brake cable and splice but the inforamtion that I read said there is a cable for just such a thing.. Ok then where is it???

Thanks

Look inside the drivers side kick panel. That would be my first stop.

It's possible that it is taped up in the harness under the dash as well.

I have often used T Taps and gone directly to the brake switch as well.

Edited by DRIFTER_016

If it didn't come with a tow package.. then most likely the blue and red wires run from front to rear in most trucks are not there Paul. I presume you are looking for the blue wire that goes to the trailer plug at the bumper to run electric brakes...

The book said to tap the cable that comes of the brake switch.. too power the controller when the brakes are applied.

There is suppose to be a cable there but I have no idea where it is.. Everything I have read says if you have the Tow package the cable is located near the emergancy brake. Since I don't have the tow package there is no connector.

I am ready just too tap the break cable but everyone said not too use the cable provided but darn if I can find it.

Look inside the drivers side kick panel. That would be my first stop.

It's possible that it is taped up in the harness under the dash as well.

I have often used T Taps and gone directly to the brake switch as well.

I just looked up T Taps and gone directly to the brake switch as well.. I might just go this way if all fails

thanks for the info

Looking it up, not seeing too much info on this on Mitchell. No panel under there like on the GM and Fords. White with a blue tracer is the wire you are looking for. Look for the brake light switch above the brake pedal. Personally don't care too much for those wire "taps", too much risk of damaging the wire and causing problems. Strip, solder and shrink or quality tape to hook in. Give me a holler if you think I can help out.

if you don't have a tow package there is no wire provided. You have to add the blue wire from the controller to the rear plug like irishfield mentioned, you do have to also tap into the side of the brake switch that has 12v when the brake pedal is applied no wire is provided for this either, and then a 12v battery feed (should use a circuit breaker) in this circuit and a very good ground preferably to the battery neg. I would never use a tap in type quick connector, I know it's hard to get at that brake wire but soldier and shrink tube is best.

Edited by GeorgeJ

Ok normally when I need help I check everywhere first and find the correct answear. but this one I am stumped.

I have a 2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4 extended cab (WITH NO towing package) and I am hooking up a brake controller..

Everything has gone excellent. I am down too the last part hooking up the one cable too the brake controller everything else is up and running..

Sure you say the cable should be ........ ????

I have checked the internet, lots of information but nothing I can find about my truck.

Checked with Action Van and truck world, they told me where it might be I checked it was not there. But book an appotment and they will complete it.

checked with the dealer. No idea but we can do it for $250.00

Everyone had a differnt idea where it might be but I still can't seem to find it.

I really do not want to head into service too hook up one small wire,

~ I have checked above the emergancy brake but because I don't have the tow package its not there.

~ I have checked under the centre console but there is no white/blue cable there.

The only option I have is to cut the brake cable and splice but the inforamtion that I read said there is a cable for just such a thing.. Ok then where is it???

Thanks

Bought the rear trailer vehicle side connector for a 2004 Dakota. It came with an adaptor for hooking up after market electric brake controller. The instruction sheet reads "if an aftermarket brake controller is used, the electric brake harness provided will make installation easier. The connection (Blue four way connector) for the harness is located under the instrument panel to the lft of the brake pedal on top of the large body narness connection." If a dealer has this part in stock, you might get a look at where the specific connector for your model year would be. My truck had the trailer towing package, but most wiring harnesses include junctions for options that aren't on the truck. Hope this helps.

Guest skeeter99

it will be under the dash by the brake pedal here is a pic it is a blue plug it does not matter if it had a tow package the plug is still there

It will be a darker blue plug and it will be located under the dash near the steering column where it goes through the firewall . It may be hidden by the wire bundles that run there.

here is a pic or get more info yourself http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums or http://dodgeforum.com/forum/index.php

brakecontroller.jpg

Edited by skeeter99